DTA S40 and Mk2 Rev counter

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by sparrow, May 31, 2008.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah tbh I would only do this for CE2 VDO type as they are reasonably easy to get spares for and its all on one board. the thing with earlier ones is the oil pressure board is seperate so I'm not sure if that needs a full amp tacho signal or not as havent traced one out to see if its before or after the filter

it only makes sense for me as I need the low amp tacho signal for my climatronic install so I may as well use 1 rev counter signal for everything rather than have one for tacho and another for climate

2. daNpy Forum Member

I noticed the RPM signal is split on the foil but I didn't know/ find where the other line is going. That's for the oil pressure then, that's close to the LCD? There is not a lot of electronics on or close to the foil itself, except for a 12V stabilizer for the other meters.

3. rubjonny

yes the oil pressure board is a separate component clipped inside the speedometer shell, if you chased the tacho trace from the cluster pin to the main board and over to oil board then bypassing the filters on the main board and using a low amp tacho signal would mean you lose oil pressure warning I expect, I assume the control chip on the oil board has its own filters you may be able to bypass though. but yah, no need, just use adaptor :lol:

4. daNpy Forum Member

I am not sure what you mean by main board?
    A pic of my Motometer cluster is on the previous page, the things I didn't remove is the speedo and the LCD...? The rest is all connected through the foil but there's hardly any electronics on it.

5. rubjonny

6. daNpy Forum Member

Didn't see that one, but I didn't take the speedo apart :)

Interesting thread!

7. rubjonny

think this thread has been well and truly hijacked, just like the old days :lol:

8. daNpy Forum Member

True but we're still talking about the rpm signal which has to be converted or unfiltered [:D]

rubjonny likes this.