DX Kjet Idle Issue when Hot

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bmouthboyo, Feb 12, 2018.

1. bmouthboyo Forum Member

So recently I took my campervan which has a DX Kjet on a long run to Wales from Dorset having recently setup the timing to 0TDC (for 95 RON) and fuel mixture to 1.8%.

It drives fine but after getting her really warmed up to about 120c oil temp I had issues with the idle dropping out when at lights.

I adjusted the idle screw at a petrol station and it picked up to a higher RPM, but again after a short amount of hard driving it would drop out at idle. It felt like it was right on the verge of idling but would then stutter and stall.

I adjusted the idle screw (counter clockwise) about 6 times over 3 days and each time I had the same issue after some driving.

I finally adjusted it again about 50 miles from home, but with no more 'hard' driving up steep hills etc and it maintained this high idle.

Is it possible for the idle screw to turn by itself clockwise? I cant imagine a screw being able to do this but it is all I can think was happening?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've only had issues with the idle screw unwinding itself when the o'ring went, raising the idle. not winding itself in... worth doign the seal anyway if you've not done it yet. have a good look over it for any other air leaks.

have a look at your aav valve, make sure it is seen to move with the fuel relay jumped (the red/white wire should be live with fuel pump, brown is the earth) how did you set the CO? I find the DIY tuning kits are not a great deal of use, probably get it better doing it by ear

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

as Jonny says they normally wind themselves out!

4. bmouthboyo Forum Member

So strange I have no idea what is going on.

Yesterday when I got the van home I left it with the idle screw adjusted so the idle was high (guess around 1500 rpm) as this is what got me home the last 50 miles without it dropping idle so low it stalled. Went out today and the idle was a normal 900 ish speed again! IT had somehow lowered again.

I cannot for the life of me think of any other components of the engine could lower an idle when fully upto temp and I increase the idle screw. It drives fine, just the idle lowers after hard driving.

I gave the idle screw a clean. Does this oring need replacing? It did seem very easy to adjust the idle, possibly even with fingers. :[​IMG]

5. rubjonny

looks a bit squished, if you suspect its moving mark it at 2 points and see if they are still lined up later on

6. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Will replace tomorrow and see if any difference.

On a side note, when adjusting the timing on a DX with the vac line to the dizzy blocked my engine has a bit of a rough idle, like it is struggling to idle. Is this normal? Should I adjust the idle speed for this part? What should the RPM be when checking timing?

7. rubjonny

you set the ignition timing and idle togther till both are where they need to be, then adjust the co after :)