E-bay lock set

Discussion in 'Security' started by Farmerchris, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

A major annoyance with my mk2 at the moment is that I have 3 keys for the car. One for the driver/ passenger door, one for the ignition, one for the fuel cap and none of these fit the boot or glove box.

My car does not have central locking.

I have seen a full set for a pretty good price which includes all the locks I need and would put everything on one key but are they any good?

Has anyone tried the eBay lock sets with success?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, Chris,

I think all the locks except the ignition can be altered by changing the bits/tumblers/sliders/wards to suit the preferred key. Most mk.3's have similar locks, and with my first one I was in a situation like yours (it had three different keys, none of which fitted the tailgate). I went along to the local dealership to ask about a set of locks, and the helpful parts assistant not only pointed this out, but provided new wards.

How d'you open the boot without c/locking, other than leaving it unlocked?

3. Farmerchris

Thanks Dougie.

Yeh the boot lock is always open just secured from the in side at the moment.

that's interesting about the tumblers Ill investigate them and see if I can make all suit one key. If it were just one for the ignition and to other for all the locks that would be alot better.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can retumble the ignition lock as well, but there are twice the number of fingers and you need donor ignition locks to get the tumblers from.

if you were to fit a remote cl kit you could delock both doors, plus if you used oem mk2 parts to do it the petrol flap is on the cl as well and so you dont have a lock on the cap either, just need to match the boot, glovebox and ignition locks strip all the fingers out the spare locks

5. Farmerchris

Thanks rubjonny

Central locking might be a good project to look into. There is a mk3 Golf just come into the breakers yard next to my work. Do you know if the locks or ignition are interchangeable?

6. rubjonny

ignition lock will work, the rest wont fit but you can split all the locks down to pinch the tumblers from them :)

7. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

The mk.3 ignition lock changed during production, though. Later ones have an anti-grip rotating collar, which required a larger opening in the cowling. I don't suppose there'd be anything (besides the displeasure of originality fiends) preventing the cowling of the mk.2 being altered if necessary

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  8. rubjonny

ah yes the 3B0905855 part number from 97-ish onwards, I did wonder what the difference was but now you mention it I can see the 'extra chunky' end on it with a google search :thumbup: