EA827 16v exhaust manifold tuning for cast, vs, LHD 4-2-1 vs MK3 Kit car

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Dec 28, 2016.

1. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Using a similar 4/2/1 system on my MK2 rally car this season, making good power and torque with a good spread...running in to a 2.75" system with two silencers.

IMG_20200628_164517_resized_20210910_014130347.jpg IMG_20200628_164604_resized_20210910_014157227.jpg

erreesse and Toyotec like this.
  2. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Apologies on a thread resurrection but this seems to be the solution for my problem @Toyotec would mind sense checking/correcting my understanding before I go hunting for parts (and if anyone reading has parts please let me know)

Car - mk2 16v with ABF block + head and KR fuelling. Problem - 4 branch manifold hits the the bulk head.

Solution seems to be - ABF LHD Tubular manifold mated to a matching LHD downpipe (like this but hopefully I can find something cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163140728739)

What's the 8v downpipe option - is that a LHD version of the 8v or a UK one and is it just a case of angle grinding down the flange height?

Thanks

Matt

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Toyotec likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not similar to a street 4-2-1, I still use on the 192 ps track/road car engine, more closer to Hugo's kit car exhaust.
    It should be, given what you do with the car and the hardware it is attached to.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You have one of those generic 4-1 things, I said are crap. Not matched to a stock engine anyway.

The Euro 16v 4-2-1, should be used with a matching downpipe ( like the one in your ebay link) and the rest of gear linkage components I wrote about in this thread.
    8v downpipe should work with the Euro manifold.

A cast manifold will still be suitable with an ABF + Kjet. Just incase you do not wish to go through the hassle of the 4-2-1 Euro manifold.
    Lots of my tests and changes, were accompanied by ECU tuning, to correct for hardware.
    If you are on Kjet, well you are pretty limited anyway.

5. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks - cast sounds like a better option me actually as I am not wanting to modify too much.

I think i will go for an 8v downpipe or a mk3 16v or 8v downpipe plus decat - depends what I can find first.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021