Early 1.8 16v Corrado engine mount issues

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, Sep 18, 2013.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Haven't been on here for a while,all sorts going on non VAG related:thumbd:,long story short I've bought a Corrado ,a very rare car in my country and its a beauty,purchased it with a few minor issues like heater core,sunroof,etc.
    The gearbox didn't shift well so dealt to that with a few jobs 70% improvement,the main cause was bad engine mounts (front and rear) ,front one was bad but made a mistake and ordered the wrong one,found the stock 8v mount too soft:o.
    This is my first cableshift box (02A) and think they have little tolerance to movement of the engine/box unlike the old rod/lever system of the 020,the mounts I have purchased are good quality but i still think the engine movement to still be excessive.
    Have researched and found the older round donut mount (mk2) is a good upgrade for the stock new rear mount I have fitted?,I have a spare mount carrier and know I have to swap out that also,so is it an upgrade or just ''an old wives tale''[:s].
    Thanks

2. watercooled Forum Member

come on guys someone must have a comment?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have you changed the gearbox mount yet? this will affect gear shifting more than the front and rear I'd expect. on my mk2 abf I have solid front, bonded rubber box and 16v/g60 rear (same as std corrado 16v one) and engine movement is fine

4. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks mate no I haven't because there is no movement there, its all happening @ the rear rh side mount,you can see the rear of the engine dip down under revs and the front is compressing and stretching accordingly to compensate.
    If you try to rock the engine back and fwd its as solid as a brick s#ithouse,in a mk2 if the rocking test shows lots of movement usually one or more of the mounts is toast,IMO the g/box mount is usually very durable ,can only remember changing one.
    When i got the car the inlet manifold hose was hitting the base of the rh side strut mounting and tranfering engine noise in to the body,changed the mount and the engine raised up and cleared but 10-12mm,good improvement,the front mount which appeared ok really proved to be worn out,gearshift was ok but changing gear under revs resulted in a lot of whip in the gear lever.
    Fitted heavy duty 16v front mount(very hard rubber) and another step ahead,better shifting less whip @ the lever but now the rear mount is working overtime.
    Getting a bit pi#sed off as I feel like I'am chasing my tail on this,thats why I asked about fitting the mk2 donut mount and carrier .
    Gearshifting is pretty good really but there is still too much movement under throttle.

5. rubjonny

well generally the 16v/g60 mount is recommended when putting big power engine into a mk2, nothing to stop you trying a std 8v mount though if you suspect this is the culpret.

the g60 box mount is a bonded rubber one as well i belive probably why you have never changed one, but both of my mk2s had hydraulic mounts which were shot. my 1st mk2 one was spectacularly bad, I found couldn't change into 2nd on a particular bend on my way into work :lol:

6. watercooled Forum Member

Cheers John have ordered the rear donut mount anyway as I had an oversea's order pending,so you are saying the 16v/g60 gearbox mount would be the go?,when I said there was no movement @ that point thats was just reving the motor in neutral,could well be differant with the full load on car drivetrain in gear and moving,your thoughts?
    Happy to buy/try any combo as the parts can always go back to our gti's or customers cars as they will be as new.
    Love the corrado it is a really nice one and I want it back to 100% ,not far away now:thumbup:,thanks again.

7. rubjonny

well this is what i would normally suggest, but you have already tried one and found it has too much play!

at least with the 8v one you have ordered if its not good enough you can fill the voids with silicone or whatever to make it stiffer :thumbup:

8. watercooled Forum Member

Very true,I have found a product called Sikaflex,its a heavy duty black marine spec sealant/ bonding media,drys off like rubber or the nearest thing to it,that would be the go.
    Have found a correct spec g/box mount on your countries ebay that is specific to 16v up to 2.9 vr ,will order one anyway on your advise,what the heh I pour money into my Dubs and enjoy them,thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  9. rubjonny

yeah thats the stuff, should stiffen it up nicely. if thats not good enough then i think is vibratechnics after that, expensive :(

10. watercooled Forum Member

Worked great John as you mentioned,sealed up the vertical voids and let it set for a week,works like a charm,thanks for that,and yes have a g/box mount on its way.

11. watercooled Forum Member

Gearbox mount fitted John ,"the final icing on the cake":thumbup:shift has improved even more,I may run a dienut down the lever and shorten it as the movement is very easy but the throw is excessive, thanks

12. rubjonny

awesome sauce :)