Electric Turbos

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by RobT, Jan 19, 2014.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hiya

I read that Audi have installed an electric turbo in their latest Sports prototype lemans- type car. The R18. V6 diesel of undisclosed capacity, with an electric snail.

Fascinating.

This heralds a new dawn in really interesting engine development. Permanent constant boost, irrespective of engine speed.

Nick Manns hillclimb car has a helicopter turbine to do the same thing.

Anyone know of any other such installs being developed?

Cheers

Rob

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

interesting, very..
    Jon

3. mono matt Forum Member

Electric water pumps, mentioned on here a while ago.

But electric turbo does sounds more interesting. :-)

4. samfish

samfish Forum Member

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

6. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

F1. Going hybrid turbo.

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I've heard more about this in relation to F1 tech (cant remember if its for this upcoming season or future?), but I guess Audi have snuck in first anyway. :lol:

8. AjVR Forum Member

As others have said thought this was being used for the f1 in a hybrid way to eliminate lag.

Cant remember if a charging element was also being used off the turbo.

Id imagine it will be this years f1 engines.

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

There were pics floating about with the F1 turbo with regeneration, used to charge kers and also works backwards to spool the turbo. Looked like a normal turbo with wider chra. Probably cost more than a house though..

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

11. EZ does it Forum Member

Electric superchargers for road cars are (for now anyway) mostly being investigated as a means of reducing the turbo lag feel that the driver experiences when an engine capacity has been downsized, and the turbo upsized to compensate.

Their big limitations are:

- Power supply, current models for car engines demanding between 2 and 5kW for up to 10 seconds. This translates to a massive current requirement at 12v, and so there is a lot of work ongoing combining these with 24 and 48v architectures. This also explains why the eBay special superchargers don't work, they're just not powerful enough.
    - Heat generation, and therefore cooling of the unit

Very informative paper here

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  12. StuMc

Ricardo are involved with Valeo too (fresh from their McLaren P1 work), which lends credence to it's viability.

Here it is in action in an everyday Focus;

[video=youtube;X9vZLYMoTCQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vZLYMoTCQ[/video]

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Do you have the publication? Would like to read if so.

14. EZ does it Forum Member

15. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

16. AjVR Forum Member

The general automotive industry I just don't think are ready for it yet. You could make one of these kits but I doubt any manufacturers would take it up.

Probably push the cost of the car up too much and also would mean a completely brand new chassis design which does not happen very often.

Modern petrol engines are so good now that I dont think the consumer really needs better mpg - we would like it but would we pay an extra 5-10k. From what I heard the ECO boost engine was designed a long long time before it was put into production.

A lot of it is pushed by the "green" initiatives engines must achieve so I doubt we will see it on everyday road cars for 10 years?

17. StuMc

Watch the video above...the Ricardo/Valeo offering adds just $1100 to the base price... ;)

Ford's own 1.0 Ecoboost engine is a pretty impressive bit of kit. Tiny in size (block would fit on a sheet of A4 paper, I've heard), but packs a decent punch despite that.

I recently had a Focus Estate Econetic (Ecoboost engine, aero tweaks, grill flaps, and low resistance tyres) hire car for 3 weeks, and genuinely thought it was a 1.6 petrol at first! Pulled like a 1.6, and did 120mph with ease on the Autobahn. Consumption was high-40s/low-50s vs the mid to high-60s Ford quote on the combined cycle, but then it was driven as a hire car is supposed to be... :lol:

The little Eco-computer that awarded "points" for hitting certain Eco targets was a fun game. Oddly red-lining every gear would give max. points, but max. speed would give no points.

18. EZ does it Forum Member

19. AjVR Forum Member

Step in right direction but basically using an alternator to charge the hybrid system and then switching it to motor mode to start.

They key is getting energy back from the exhaust gas.

20. EZ does it Forum Member

Yeah there are turbine systems out there that convert exhaust energy to electricity. The problem is that if an energy recovery system is used in conjunction with a turbo you get poor performance from both as the pressure ratio is shared between both.

I reckon they'll come to market alongside a turbo eventually, but only when the cost of a control system that caters for both devices is outweighed by the benefit. Or just forced in with legislation lol