Electric window keeps breaking

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mrglee, May 25, 2018.

1. mrglee Forum Member

Just took out osf regulator wouldn't go all the way up and crunching to fine the cable nearly destroyed around the motor spool I only fitted this 4 months ago.in five years it's wrecked 3 regulators(£25 eBay) on the same door 1 snapped a cable (glass frozen to rubbers) ,clips broke on second and now the third all ran smoothly when fitted are these just crap or is the motor doing the damage.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what car is this?

3. mrglee Forum Member

It's a 95 GTi 8v

4. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I bought an aftermarket mech for my A3. Due to the way it was made it would push the glass outwards in all corners into the frame by around 1mm so I decided just to scavenge the clips from it. Maybe there is a similar issue?

Sadly I only found out after removing drilling the 4x 5mm steel rivets and one 6.4mm aluminium. None of which could be replaced like for like [:o)]

5. rubjonny

6. rubjonny

7. mrglee Forum Member

IMG_20180601_183706.jpg thanks for the info just fitted a new reg all is smooth and quite.here is the 4 month old knackered reg.same failure as the one it replaced.

8. mrglee Forum Member

Another one bites the dust [:[]osf reg has got stuck closed lots of lovely crunching will take out and see probably cable has frayed round the spool again seems to last 4 months I do have a couple of mounting lugs snapped off on the motor thinking the motor is twisting/lifting slightly causing the cable to cross on the spool?.

9. rubjonny

possible yeah, or perhaps the spool is a bit worn allowing cable to jump, or spring tension isnt quite right on the cable guides

10. mrglee Forum Member

Found these in the bottom of the door the curved edge has torn away from the rest of whatever it is? 1538945330971-1842111928.jpg 1538945330971-1842111928.jpg 1538945371726-1972195748.jpg

11. rubjonny

part of the strips on the glass clamps?
    [​IMG]

12. mrglee Forum Member

Yes that's them had it in my head they were longer than that new reg fitted and all is good see if it lasts more than 4 months

13. mrglee Forum Member

Well after six weeks my regulator has failed yet again :(.crunching and getting stuck...again probably frayed the cable round the spool unless anyone has any other ideas on this I think I'm going to change the motor as well.

14. mrglee Forum Member

Well I got 3 months out of this one tho just slowly read thru the link on how to fit and I'm sure the rubber shim on the motor shaft is missing I take it without it the spool is drifting around causing the cable to fray.anyone got a pic of this shim or estimate it's thickness sure I can come up with something to do its job

15. rubjonny

16. mrglee Forum Member

Cheers rubjonny that looks like about 7-8mm thick no wonder it was crossing on the spool will have to dig around for a suitable part to do it's job I'm sure I could get steel washers to fit but I guess that shim is made from rubber to cushion and space.

17. mrglee Forum Member

Hmmm just found this in my tool box if it didn't know better I would say this is the missing part. IMG_20190223_152452.jpg does it sit like the pic of the motor?.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  18. rubjonny

it does look suspiciously like the part you require...

I cant say exactly how it sits as I've never had a mk3 motor apart, and etka diagram isn't clear enough to show it. I would certainly give it a try with the part you have! Assemble it with just the drum and check that its snug, but not so tight the motor will struggle to turn it