Electrolysis Everyone should try this. DIY.

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Admin, Jun 3, 2007.

1. The_bug Forum Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread but... does anybody that has tried this know if it would affect body paint? I was thinking of dipping the bottom of my door and would rather it just attacked the rusty bits and not the paint ;).

Cheers.

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

im not sure but i can say that some of the bits i did (calipers and carriers) did have paint on them,and after the process took some paint off and left some on,its possible the paint that was removed had corrosion under it,the bits of paint that stayed ok possibly didnt,i wouldnt do it on something that i wasnt sure about,or too concerned about as a precaution unless someone can confirm otherwise
    also to dip a door or part of a door your going to need something big to act as the anode (collector?)

3. The_bug Forum Member

kk thanx. Was thinkin it could cure the inaccessesable bits inside the door ;). Hmmm, might try it on an old door first then nd might even post my first pictures, see what happens... Iv got a small plastic water feature to dip it into nd 3 old brake discs for the iron. Also found a cheapish sorce of zinc in boat anodes (40 for 12kg) so might have a go at making it last also :).

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

and if anyone buys it theyl kick them selves when they reed this thread,most folk on here will have a charger and a spare battery i would think,then its a case of buying a bowl and soda for a few quid

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Frost have been selling that kit for yeeeeears... ;)

But, yeah, why would you buy one, when you could DIY. :thumbup:

7. Dono Forum Member

I seen that in the mag the other day i was like HOW MUCH!!! would a normal household charger for like a torch or a phone work too?

8. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

have been having a go at this simple process over the last few days on a bit of cambelt cover i have had lying around, and i have to say i am impressed with how well it works, i started with a rusty nasty bit of tinware and now have a nice bit of metal. very pleased, going to try zinc next to cover the metal with
    will let you know how i get on.

9. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Bought one of These today to see if it can produce enough current to work effectively haven't had great success yet but I haven't experimented much yet, and I've never used solar power before. I think I'll still have to connect to a battery but I'll know more when the sun comes out tomorrow and I get a chance to play around with it a bit.

I'll report back here with my findings...

10. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

well so far zinc plating using this method is a bust
    done abit more research, gunna need some pretty narly chemicals to make it work
    oh well more experiments

11. altern8 Forum Junkie

how big does the IRON Anode need to be for it to work on a hub?

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

going by what i said earlier on,(post 37ish) i would say,twice the size ,using a disc as the anode it did the smaller bits much faster,so id work on at leas double

13. neil kaye Forum Junkie

also take in to consideration what Jaundice said in post 38,i saw a read up somewhere,where someone had made the anode out of steel bars placed all the way round a bin,linked them with wires,and placed the cathode in the middle and had good results,also smudge demonstrated this earlier with the copper pipe,(i never got round to trying it though)

14. Dono Forum Member

i wired two wishbones together, and used one brake disc, just leave it in for 24 hours will still be spot on.

15. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Can a similar electrolytic process be used to remove corrosion from alloy wheels damaged by road salt?[8(]

I've a couple of sets where corrosion has created pits in both rim sidewall (lip), and the tyre bead sealing surface, which creates slow leaks - - impossible to completely remove the corrosion by hand or disc sander as the pits are beneath the surface - - hopefully electrolysis should deal with that, then rinse clean, blow dry, puddle alloy paint prep into the cavities and powder coat or apply epoxy paint to the whole shebang

Anyone tried this?

Thanks

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

does it affect the seals?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    Sirguydo likes this.
  17. neil kaye Forum Junkie

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2018
  18. LeftcoastTigger Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent, thanks Neil - - likewise Brian:thumbup:

19. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

I've been using this for years!! however I tend to use an old steel paint tin or similar to put the solution in, then suspend the item inh the solution and use the tin as the annode. I do however put said tim in a washing up bowl, as eventially it rots though and leaks!

20. Fray16v Forum Member

this solution for alloy combined with the plating method should speed up the rust removal as we used a caustic soda solution with an electrical current to remove rust and any other contaminants from the metal before zinc and nickel plating.

forgot to say you have to rinse the parts off in water after rust removal just before plating we used 6 8' deep tanks and a gas powered drying unit.
    an acid soak tank, in to a water rinse, then in to the caustic solution with the electric current, another water rinse, then in to the zinc/nickel tank for 15 min's, another water bath, then in to the gas dryer. in total 45 min's

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010