Engine fault codes

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by brizzol, Mar 2, 2014.

1. brizzol New Member

Hello peeps!

im having a few problems with my 2001 VW Bora V5 so i have scanned for fault codes and have pulled up the following codes

17755 - Google has given me this info....

17755/P1347/004935 - Camshaft Position Sensor 2 (G163) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correl. Possible Causes
    Timing Belt/Chain incorrectly installed
    Timing Chain probably lengthened
    Camshaft Position Sensor 2 (G163) faulty
    Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty
    Possible Solutions
    Check Timing Belt/Chain installation
    Use Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) to Check Timing Chain
    Check/Replace Camshaft Position Sensor 2 (G163)
    Check/Replace Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
    Special Notes
    When found in VR6 4 Valve (BDF, BJS, BAA,) engines in conjunction with 17748 please see Technical Bulletin 15-07-03. The previous Technical Bulletin number was 15-04-01.
    When found in a 30-valve V6 gasoline Audi engine (such as EPB or BEL), DTC 17748 may be stored as well. If both of these codes are displayed simultaneously, and the codes only appear after the motor is revved above 1800RPM, then the issue is likely that the cam chain tensioners were installed on the incorrect heads (drivers' tensioner on passenger head, etc).
    On engines with chain driven intake camshaft(s), but belt driven exhaust camshaft(s), verify the number of chain roller links between the intake and exhaust camshafts is correct. Click on thumbnail to enlarge:

00532 -
    00532 - Supply Voltage B+ 00532 - Supply Voltage B+: Signal too Low Possible Causes
    Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module faulty
    Power Supply (Battery/Generator) faulty
    Possible Solutions
    Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module
    Check Power Supply (Battery/Generator)
    Special Notes
    When found in an individual control module, it's most likely a local source (e.g. wiring/connectors).
    When found in multiple control modules at the same time, it's most likely a common source (e.g. ground spot, battery, generator).
    Intermittent codes are often stored during low outside temperature when the battery capacity goes down and may be ignored.
    Common with 16946/P0562/001378 - System Voltage: Too Low stored in other control modules.

The symptoms i have are loss of power, especially at low revs.
    Engine feels a little lumpy and the tickover speed seems too low to me.
    High fuel consumption.
    Trouble starting sometimes and sometimes it will stall immediately after starting.
    The throttle pedal is very unresponsive, if i dap my foot on it quickly and take it off it has almost no effect and driving it below 3000rpm it really struggles to pick up speed.

Sorry about the long winded post and thank you if you are still reading!

Im guessing (in my limited knowledge) that the power loss is to do with the first code, does anyone have any experience with this and if so is it something i can do myself?

Thanks in advance for any help..

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah first thing would be to check the wiring to the cam position sensor, you may have to remove the engine cover first. hopefully if its damaged this should be obvious i.e. chaffed wire or a snapped wire out the back of the plug rather than burried in the loom somewhere

brizzol likes this.
  3. brizzol New Member

Hey thanks for the reply, i seem to have two cam sensors on my engine, one at the front and one at the back?
    I bought a new sensor on saturday and swapped out the rear one but unfortunately it has made no difference :(
    I checked the wires going into the plugs and that seems fine, is it possible it could have got damaged in the middle somewhere?
    Does the other end go into the ecu?
    I could put a meter on and check for continuity im guessing?

I actually tried to source a workshop manual for my car but it seems they dont make one for the V5?

Also i have cleared the second code off and it hasnt come back so thats one good thing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. rubjonny

yeah both cam sensors go back to the ecu, whats the engien code for it? I'll print you off a diagram. the V5 lump is basically a V6 with 1 cylinder lopped off so the 2.4l v6 manual should cover pretty much all you need to know mechanically. the wiring diagram will probably be pretty much the same too but may as well print off the right one for you just in case

brizzol likes this.
  5. brizzol New Member

The engine code is 17755, any idea which one that would relate to?
    I swapped out the rear one and then took the front one out and cleaned it up as it was pretty dirty, i was actually quite hopeful after doing that but alas it didnt make any difference!
    Thanks for your help mate its much appreciated!

6. rubjonny

I would assume its the rear one as well, doesnt really say anywhere which is which! you could try unpluggign the front one see if you get a new code for CPS 1 instead?

let me know your engine code I'll see what I can dig out of elsawin

brizzol likes this.
  7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If it's the later 20v he should be able to check what is happening with chains
    In channel 208 and 209

brizzol likes this.
  8. rubjonny

cool i was hoping to find that info in elsa :thumbup:

9. brizzol New Member

Oh sorry the engine code i thought you meant the fault code haha!
    Its AQN the 20v version.
    Mushy - Channel 208 and 209 sorry i dont know what you mean by that? Is that info from a vag diagnostic?

10. MUSHY 16V

In VAG-COM go to modules then 01-engine then 011-measured values then display group 208/209 that's inlet & Exhaust
    Both should be less than +/-8

If it's not reading one it could be the sensor or that the chains has stretched that much it can't read it

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    brizzol and rubjonny like this.
  11. brizzol New Member

Thanks for the info, i have tracked someone down who is local and deals with vag com so hopefully get a definitive answer one way or the other.
    Thanks for all your help on this.

12. brizzol New Member

Hey just an update...
    Has the car scanned it came back with camshaft sensor fault position 2 (the back one)
    Now seeing as i have replaced both of them i said to the guy what should i do now, he asked where i got the sensor from and i told him euro car parts.
    Well he basically said i have put a crap sensor in and i should go to VW and buy one from them!

Now im no mechanic but surely this is pointing to a wiring fault?
    Euro car parts offer two different sensors for my car, a cheapy one and a Bosch one, well i bought the Bosch one and it wasnt cheap!
    Dunno where to go from here apart from getting an auto electrician to have a gander at it.

13. MUSHY 16V

it could be then again it could be the sensor or the chains
    he could have swapped the cam sensors about to see if the fault moved instead of being a dick

i'd take it to someone else to look at it
    someone thats willing to try and find out whats wrong
    did he check the mesuring blocks for the cam sensors

my mate had the same fault on his R32 in his case it was the chains it was that far out it was only picking up the one cam and it was over the plus or minus 8 on the other one

you could check the wiring your self
    and may pay to get a cheap vag com lead

may be handy if GVK knew anythink about this

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    brizzol likes this.
  14. brizzol New Member

For what its worth he did disconnect the cam sensor and scan it again which then came up with cam sensor missing, but no he didnt check the measuring blocks.

15. rubjonny

bosch are same parts as what VW fit, no problems there. though it could be faulty out of the box still it does happen. but as mushy said the measuring blocks need measured to tell for sure if its sensor or something else

cable will cost you around 10, just need a laptop and you're away

brizzol likes this.
  16. brizzol New Member

I was under the impression that vag com software costs a few hundred quid?

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

These are prone for cam chain/tensioner issues that bring up the sensor fault codes, I have posted up on a few threads the cheapest possible way of getting VCDS-Lite.

do a quick search for VCDS and you'll see the threads.

You may need to get the software unlocked with a one-off $99 fee to Ross-Tech, if not you will only see limited measuring blocks.

Above is enough to do BASIC fault code/live data finding.

Here's a PDF on the 24v engines regarding the chain stretch.

Different error code though..

http://www.cfiamerica.com/images/24v/17755.pdf

Before you go too mad though, disconnect the air flow meter and see if the running improves, these very often go bad and don't bring up an error code.

The code relative to B+ voltage can be caused by a low/flat battery.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    brizzol likes this.
  18. brizzol New Member

Hey thanks for the info, i have ordered myself a cable from Amazon and since i dont have a laptop i have also ordered a 10m usb extension cable to plug it straight into my pc :)
    I replaced the air flow meter about a year ago but i will try that just in case, thanks.

19. brizzol New Member

OK i now have the cable and have installed vcds lite on my pc.
    Done a scan and came back with 3 results..

17755 - Camshaft position sensor 2/engine speed sensor

17976 - Throttle actuator, mechanical failure - intermittent

17511 - oxygen sensor heating, performance too low - intermittent

"In VAG-COM go to modules then 01-engine then 011-measured values then display group 208/209 that's inlet & Exhaust
    Both should be less than +/-8"

I have gone to modules (select control module)
    01 - engine
    11 is listed as login and requires a login code? Is that right??

20. brizzol New Member

08 is listed as measuring blocks which i can go into and have entered groups 208 and 209.
    Which information should i be looking at and am i even in the right section?