Engine ground connection

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by spyrock, Apr 7, 2020.

1. spyrock Forum Member

Hi,

Golf GTI 16V (KR) 1988

I have some (warm) start issues after rebuilding the engine, clearly related to heat soak and/or bad grounding of gearbox-enigne-chassis.

Could anyone confirm where below engine earth cable is connected to originally from th factory?

In my case it was sandwiched between the ignition coil support and fire wall. But the firewall is painted so I'm doubting it's the original spot and making a good ground connection to the chassis this way.

[​IMG]

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's only a minor ground, for the coil iirc . The main engine earth went from the battery negative, to the side of the battery tray, and on to one of the mounting studs on the starter as I recall. Much heavier core cable than that.

3. spyrock Forum Member

Yes it's a minor ground but I do want to make sure it's correctly connected of course ;)

The main earth connections between battery/alternator/starter/gearbox have been checked. Couldn't find anything wrong there.

4. Tristan

It's not so much for grounding to the chassis there, as grounding the coil to the engine.

5. spyrock Forum Member

Ok, so should be just fine attached to the coil support bolt?

6. Tristan

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I beleive its just for radio suppression, nothing more. I ran my abf mk2 without one for over a year, and noticed no difference when refitted.

the main one you need to worry about is battery earth th chassis and engine block, early models it goes to a stud on the upper gearbox bracket. this isnt a great long term choice as corrosion builds up between the bracket and gearbox, you can buff it all up to fix. later models it was moved to a stud on one of the upper bolts holding gearbox to engine which is a much better position, mk3 golf are great donors for this bolt plus their battery cables have a nicer clamp design too