Engine oil in coolant system ,best way to clean ?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by watercooled, Aug 4, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

As per title,oil cooler swapped out as original one leaking and new radiator fitted later after repeated flushing , oil has gone but sure there will be a little trapped in the system so would also like to use something to clean better.
    On a search there was mention of dishwasher powder desolved into the header tank as it is non foaming and mild,comments please TIA.

2. H8V

h8v Forum Member

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

Mr muscle floor cleaner, non foaming one…works really well or even persil/Ariel pods into the coolant tank…

4. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks for the replies,looks like I will use Finish Powerball tablets (less Powerball ) ,last of the oil is mainly in the header tank,cheers.

5. davidut5 Forum Member

Some time ago used something that smelled like gasoline, used 2-3 cans on heavy oily coolant.
    Were not cheap, brand name was liqui moly.
    Even after extensive flushing, hoses were still coated with oil on the inside.
    Could be this one, used years ago: https://products.liqui-moly.com/radiator-cleaner-7.html

6. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks ,well it worked really great,oil was next to nothing ,but flushing water was rusty looking thinking that was crap in the block but after lots of clean water added it is real clean using total loss flush.
    Used 2 dishwasher tablets mixed with boiling water till desolved .
    Trust me this works,cheers.

7. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Good to know. Thanks for the update. Something to consider when I next change the antifreeze.

8. watercooled Forum Member

Further my dishwasher tablet cleaning....,I have run the car after the clean around 60kms just running fresh water,the colour of the water went a light rust colour in that time.
    I can only assume this will be remaining rust from the engine block,flushed again today using total loss method and it has come clean again.
    So in summary if I did it again I would most likely use 4 desolved tablets and flush more than I did ,cheers.

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the follow up.

10. watercooled Forum Member

The coolant level light has run all the time since oil cooler fail ,pulled the tank off and cleaned it,appears oil likes sticking to plastic ???? so cleaned 3 times till spotless,all good now and level light fault cleared,good result.
    Hopefully that's the end of this saga .

Tristan and dodgy like this.