Engine problems

Discussion in '16-valve' started by joe98, Jan 10, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it should just pull out, bit more wiggling should free it off. its in a relay holder clipped to the top of the fusebox, you can release the clips either side of the holder with a small screwdriver to pop it off if it helps access wise

2. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

So after using some force I managed to get the relay that was circled out. I haven’t really noticed a difference with how the car runs without it plugged in (I’ve been driving about a week without it).

I have however noticed though that the new fuel pump relay has fixed my problem... until the car warms up. The car will rev all the way to redline but when it’s been driven after fully warming up it will start to act as if there is a limiter. It doesn’t do this at a specific RPM but it happens from 4K and above.

Could this be a fuel pressure problem at high revs?

3. rubjonny

next time it happens swap the 17/18 relay back in and see if that cures the issue. if it does then perhaps the fuel pump is drawing too much current and overloading the relay, or perhaps the new relay is just bad. What make is it? GSF used to do kraker which are OEM quality

4. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Okay I’ll try swapping the relays tonight.

The new relay is a Huco branded one. Part number 935VG0090 on GSF. Hopefully I bought a good quality one [:D]

5. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

So I tested the fuel pump relay first to make sure it was still acting like there’s a limiter and it did. I swapped out the 17 relay and the problem still persisted. It wasn’t as bad but it still acted as if there is a limiter.

If the relay is drawing too much current what do I have to do to stop that?

6. rubjonny

ok so its not the relay causing the problem then, look elsewhere.

first make sure the lift pump is working well, disconnect the black line from it and run a pipe from pump to a jug and with the 17 relay inserted follow this test:
    liftpumpdelivery.jpg