Engine removal

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk2 nas, Dec 6, 2015.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, big thanks to all help on here,eg running well starts,idles,sounds good for an old engine maybe it's had work previously.
    I think I've been lucky for a sub 100 engine.had the same result on my mk2.two good engines for 200.happy days.

My 1800 EV I removed took head off bores look good.no scores barely any lip.but it was knocking somewhere.im planning the
    Following.remove Pistons hone bores a bit fit new rings,replace crank shells,new oil pump,and check little ends and replace
    If needed.ive not rebuilt a bottom end before is this enough to achieve a decent spare.that in time will go back in.:o

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Knocking will prob be big ends, get the sump off. Cranks are rock hard, probably get away with a set of shells, hopefully.
    Jon

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yes was planning on doing the shells only to start with but thought new rings would be a good idea too.
    If the shells have been the problem would they be obviously worn to the eye.???
    Or are we talking micro measurments of wear not visible.
    I've heard of shells losing the surface and going copper like scratches.

4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Changed all gear linkages today including gearstick base assembly.cant beleive the difference feels like a different car
    Very positive changes.[:D]

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Shells that look ok in my experience are ok. I have used secondhand rings on secondhand pistons many times, providing the bores aren't shot
    Jon

6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Oh ok. I will check the big ends although knocking is there it's not that heavy so I'm thinking more
    Likely the little ends making a piston slap maybe.

7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Started my mk1 today.about the sixth time I've ran it but seemed really lumpy today and stunk of fuel at the exhaust
    Think it may need some adjustments.could something be stuck and over fuelling?.

8. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok it's a strange one ive had it running normally over last two weeks but just today seems lumpy almost like its
    On three cylinders.and ive not adjusted anything.may check spark on all plugs first&timing set up.take it from there.

10. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Lumpy running is sorted just clean everything electrical and is normal now.however ive now got a clutch squeel
    Not all the time .changes with clutch movement.cutch has had new friction plate and t/o bearing pressure plate was left in
    As it looked "good"didn't appear worn with no grooves or lip and good spring tension.im not sure how much g/box oil
    Is in there and I do remember losing some would it cause a squeel if too low.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does it only squeel when the pedal is pushed? this points to TO bearing I would say

12. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

New t/o bearing,although it could be duff,ive just dumped a litre of g/box oil in and it's stopped!.so don't really know
    What would affected by a low level.

13. rubjonny

if its an 020 box then yeah low oil will probably cause it, as it sits in the 5th housing and should be well lubed I expect

14. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok not sure how much was in there I'm suspecting poss a third of what there should have been.meant to have topped
    Up after engine/clutch work but sort of forgot about it.the Haynes reckons 2 litres for a 5spd manual.so my litre plus
    What I think is in there should be enough.dont wanna overfill might do damage.

15. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

there is a level plug in an 020. fill it until it come out
    low oil level kills boxes
    Jon

Nige likes this.
  16. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok,where abouts is the level plug.

17. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

18. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

The squeel is back but not as bad.yours thoughts would help.firstly how many things could squeel on clutch transmission.
    My thoughts are.t.o bearing is duff although it's new.the other item I think is a strong possibility is the small centre piece
    On pressure plate that pushrod pushes onto.im absolutly sure its clutch related.
    So far...new friction plate,new bearing,new g/box oil.pressure plate is very good but not new.
    Flywheel is also good.
    Car is ok/driveable but fecking annoying ive gotto get rid of this noise.

19. rubjonny

may as well pull the bearign out to have a look, pull out the pushrod too and check its fitted the right way round as the OE rods differ. pattern ones appear to be the same on both ends though. broke has lots of info on his site linked earlier including rod pictures and measurements :)

20. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

image.jpg

Finite likes this.