Engine runs misfires and stalls intermittently.

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Mk2 driver 1800, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Hi everyone went out for a drive in my golf lastnight and it was running well but after a few miles it started misfiring and the engine would die on acceleration managed to limp it back to my mates with the choke out to have a look at it and we couldn't find anything obvious so I took it for a spin and it was ok for a few seconds but then started playing up again I got out and revved the carb up by hand but it just backfired through the carb so parked it up for a bit and spent a few hours sulking then drove it home and it ran spot on all the way back?

2. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Anyone got any ideas my mk2 is my daily so need to get to the bottom of it as soon as I can.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Blockage in the fuel line? Choked In tank filter?
    Weak fuel pump?

Spitting back through the carb is a sign of an engine running lean.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like carb icing to me, as it cleared up when you left it for a bit. make sure the factory airbox is used, the warm air feed pipe and manifold shroud are ok, and the flap in the airbox opens when the engine is running

Tristan likes this.
  5. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Thanks for the replies turns out I've cracked the carb rubber flange I pushed the carb to one side to try and get a spanner which was a bit to thick to fit onto the 10mm bolt and ended up breaking the mount which is less than a year old what a dick :/ hopefully be a cheap fix tho

6. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Hot air in carb is good

7. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Had a polo 1.3 sport. Was attended by police on motorway m6 UK. In snow
    Clue
    And my audi 80 too

8. Mk2 driver 1800 New Member

Bet that was scary ran out of petrol in a fiat seicento on a motorway once and had to walk to garage refilling it was genuinely one of scariest moments of my life.