Engine Ticking Noise

Discussion in '8-valve' started by stytrhe, Mar 20, 2021.

1. stytrhe Forum Member

Hi, I've had a look through the threads about ticking noises but can't seem to find my exact problem. The car is a 8v GTI (PB) done 246,000 miles. Recently rebuild the cylinder head with new tappets (hydr0, exhuast gasket, rocker cover gasket, injector seals, all due to the ticking noise. The noise did reduce, but didn't disappear. The car has been stood for a month, and now sounds like it has no oil in it. The oil pressure had been checked recently and belived to be okay. Oil level is fine. My thoughts are an engine oil flush or replace the oil pump and hope for the best. Anyone had a similar prodlem ? I don't think its bottom end bearings.

2. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

What oil filter?
    Good ones have a non return valve to stop oil draining down

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

By any chance has it a 4 branch mani?

Or a dodgy downpipe gasket?

Yoy say oil pressure is Believed to be ok... You have to get a number, hot and cold, and where it was measured from.

What oil are you using?

4. Tristan

With the vertical, hanging down filter on an 8v, that's not really a problem.

5. davidut5 Forum Member

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oil will still drain down from the head if theres no valve, gravity will pull it all back into the sump. MK3 golf oil filter housings have their own non-return valve in for this reason

7. Tristan

Ah gotcha, i was thinking of the filter itself draining.

8. stytrhe Forum Member

Hi, thanks for the replies. Its got a geunine vw oil filter, gastrol gtx 15/40 oil, 4 branch manifold and stainless exhaust. Where is the best place to measure the oil pressure from ? and also what tool should i get to measure it ?

9. Tristan

I put a new TSR 4 Branch on a freshly rebuilt 8v once, and it caused it to make a ticking sound exactly like an engine rattle. I ended up removing it, getting some exhaust wrap in between the pipes where they were close, and then wrapping the lot of it before it stopped.

Re oil pressure, you can check on the oil filter housing and on the head. remove one of the oil sensors there and fit the guage.
    I always use an old fashioned mechanical capillary guage.

10. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

As Tristan says, stainless exhaust manifolds can make a very tinny metallic noise often confused for engine rattles.

Get yourself a long screwdriver and put it up to your ear and move it to different parts of the engine. You should be able find the location of the rattle pretty quickly then.

11. stytrhe Forum Member

Hi,
    thanks for the replys. The four branch has been on for a number of years, and I know the tinny noise that it makes, unforunately this isn't the cause of my current woes. Ive got some Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive to try, then I'll get a gauge to measure the oil pressure (if the additive doesn't work).

12. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

I'd still try the aul screw driver trick and try and isolate the noise. A quick and easy check before spending more money. Probe injectors, rocker cover, side of cylinder head, bottom end, sump and see where exactly the noise is coming from.

Doing it by ear is very hard to hear where the noise is coming from, as it could be reverberating through/off other parts.

These are very handy to have in the toolbox

13. mbuk2456 Forum Member

I have had this issue after an oil ns filter change. I Changed the oil filter and it was sorted. I used a genuine filter bought off ebay however I don't know of it was a manufacturer defect or the part may have been a cheap copy but it was a lesson learnt either way.

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  14. stytrhe Forum Member

Hi, a good update. Dropped the oil filter, replaced with a new one, and put the tappet additive in, and everything has quitened down. Left it for a few days, and took it for a drive today, and it sounds a lot happier. Thank you for everyones help and advise.

dodgy and davkav like this.
  15. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Buy an oil pump just in case. 30 quid