Ever seen this brake line set-up?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Rustbuster, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all,
    Got to change front flexi hose on my ‘91 16v KR and have always wondered about how the passenger side caliper is plumbed in. Flexi goes to a small loop of rigid piping before entering the caliper. Drivers side is normal and flexi goes directly into caliper like you’d expect. They’re both genuine VW calipers, in fact I think they’re factory as I’ve had the car over 25 years and have never needed to replace them. Can’t see anything on ETKA that resembles his set up. Any thought why guys? Thanks.
    This is passenger side in question.

6A10EF0B-1912-4044-B6AA-3CF07028CF38.jpeg 7BE436AE-2A1B-402F-A7D9-06909CAD0095.jpeg

This is drivers side. Normal.?
    73EEFA2D-1494-499C-AABA-9ACA89C256E4.jpeg

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

That's like my lcr and my s4 calipers had, was a small discussion on philryders brake calipers last week, as to what threaded hole was for, I thought plastic guard, some said hose bracket, so perhaps you have an original one still, one replacement

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The short metal to flexi is standard on either G60 or 16v mk2.

dodgy likes this.
  4. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Does the passenger side have the 2 anti chafe donuts too?

5. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Yep that is a standard 16v caliper set up my H plate 16v had the same set up on both calipers.

6. Rustbuster

Yeah, 2 doughnuts on passenger side. Perhaps the drivers side was replaced before I got the car? So the $64m question is why? What does that original 16v G60 arrangement with flexi to short rigid pipe do? Must be some kind of tweak??.

NateS2 likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes the short hard line is standard on 16v and G60, requiring a specific brake hose to fit (16v and g60 differ becasue the hard line on a g60 is moved a bit)

Guess the reasoning is to move the flexi fitting way from the caliper for whatever reason, less line length, less movement whatevs. The difference it makes is pretty minor though so...

anyway most people who upgrade to 16v brakes bin the hard line section and fit 8v hoses straight on, and you dont hear of them exploding all the time. but if your car is a factory 16v if it was me I'd try to source the missing hard line bit so it goes back to standard. short term if you just want to get a new set of lines and fluid in it just grab 8v hoses and keep an eye out for the missing hardline section for the next time if bothered

Rustbuster likes this.
  8. Rustbuster

Yeah, think I’ll do just that RJ. Am surprised ETKA doesn’t list the bits needed for original 16v setup. Want to keep as standard as possible so I guess I’ll do the 8v short term ‘till the bits come up on ebay unless anyone reading this has a 16v drivers side caliper for sale? Ta.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yeah its not on the diagram but if you look at the bottom of the 'front brake line' section it shows the 16v and G60 metal bracket and bolt part numbers, the pipe you have to make yourself from bulk stock hose

10. Rustbuster

Legend! Thanks RJ.