Exhaust wrap, Ties or lockwire?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mat-mk3, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

When i wrapped my 6 branch on the MK2 (what a nightmare of a job) i had trouble with the stainless ties not gripping and they just fell off really. I had to purchase some stainless lockwire to finish it off and stop it from undoing itself.
    Were these just bad ties or are they normally that bad? I'm trying to work out if it's worth buying some ties for the mk5 exhaust or saving the money and buying a pair of lockwire pliers. I did it by hand last time and it was tricky to do.
    Thankfully i have plenty of wrap left over and it's not a 6 branch this time! lol

Cheers
    Mat

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I always use ties for Cv boots. with the proper puller and cutting tool, and bend over the cut off tail. Never failed me.

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hmm, Good idea. I have not had to do a CV joint yet but it's on the list! lol

4. idrivemyself New Member

Some ties are better than others, but when dealing with the finicky ones I will twist the tie end 90 deg using pliers while keeping tension prying between the pliers and tie lock end with a flat blade screwdriver. Hopefully that helps.

5. Notso Swift Forum Member

I'd use use lock wire if you u don't have the proper tool
    I had the same experience as you because I couldn't get it tight enough. So I went around once, quick twist then back the other way it it held fine