EZ -> PB -> 2L?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Max Wailes, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Max Wailes New Member

I have a 2L 8v I'm going to collect and build up to go in my MK2 which is currently running a 1.6 EZ. I intend on getting all the parts, building as much of it as possible outside the car, and then fitting it to reduce time without a car. I understand the 2E/AGG block can be used with the PB head so my thinking is I can get a bit of practice in by fitting a PB and then swapping over to my 2L which leaves me with a couple of questions:

Can I run a PB with a MK3 tank and pump so it's already in for the 2L and would I need the under car pump/swirl pot?

Out of interest could I run my 1.6 with a PB head and injection?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You don't have to have a mk3 tank, my 2.0 (AGG bottom end) mk2, with original PB head, is still on it's standard GTI tank and pumps.

But if you have a mk3 tank setup, that will work fine too.

3. Max Wailes New Member

That's good to know, thank you. I thought, because I'm starting from a carb, it would be simpler to fit the MK3 tank so I don't have to use the second pump and keep it a bit tidier underneath.

In that case I will look into the PB/EZ combo for some practice while I build up the 2.0 and swap in the 2.0 bottom end down the line.

4. Tristan

Certainly if you can source a mk3 setup it's a nice upgrade, RubJonny has lots of posts about it.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

since you dont have any kind of injection now, I would suggest you fit the complete engine with the mk3 managment if possible. the mk2 head -> 2.0l swap is only done if your car is already injection as you can just drop it in and go, since you still; need to change engine loom, fuel setup etc may as well skip the mk2 managment and go for the better mk3 stuff

6. Max Wailes New Member

Understood, thank you for explaining. I haven’t done any big work to the car yet so I’m still figuring out how it all fits together.

just for the sake of interest, is there any reason an EZ block/PB head and associated management/MK3 tank wouldn’t work? I don’t mind swapping out the management when I fit the 2.0 if it’ll give me some experience with injection.

7. rubjonny

MK2 PB head+injection would work fine with the mk3 2.0 block and tank, so its up to you how you wanna do it :)

8. Tristan

John, is the mk3 management a good improvement over digi? "chippable"?
    I presume they have better ignition tables and aren't batch fire injection?

9. rubjonny

the digi2 isnt very flexible and finding people able to map it isnt so easy. the mk3 management is just that little more advanced, plus its designed for the engine you plan to run. still not that easy to find mappers but they are out there. depending which ecu it is you can find chips but these are only generic so the benefits not so great compared to a proper map and the prices these days a bit too steep for my liking

2E code ecu is pretty similar to PB still batch fire, but as I say it'll run better becasue its designed to run a 2.0 from the start. AGG/ADY are sequential injection but will only work if you get the right block as they need a crank sensor which the 2E doesnt have

10. Tristan

..... And according to my dealer, the crank sensor is NLA!
    I gave up on non genuine ones after I fitted the Omex, and resorted to a CPS on the front pulley.

11. rubjonny

well to be fair, loads of the sensors are NLA for both PB and MK3 engines not just crank :lol:

12. Tristan

The very cheek of VW not supporting everything on 30+ year old engines lol