FAO: 2.0L 8v converters - anyone got a pic of their plumbed in block-to-breather?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mookie, Sep 16, 2007.

1. firstgti Forum Member

well call me stupid i dnt mind haha but wats all this about ,, iv juss got myself a mk3 golf gti 8v (will soon have a mk2) i jus want to no what difference it makes swaping the pipes and could i do it on my mk3 2l 8v

2. GarethMK2VR6

GarethMK2VR6 Forum Member

Swapping pipes around isnt going to do anything for you on this one mate. If your getting a MK2 GTI then this thread is about adapting the MK3 2.0 ltr to fit in to your MK2. You could either put a MK2 head, ECU, loom ect in your MK3, or a MK3 botttom end in your MK2 which would be the easier and cheaper option.

3. paultownsend Forum Member

i used rj's method. 2e ufo, and passat block to ufo breather. works faultlessly.
    as for a catch tank. think im going to use one on my abf conversion. with the breather not venting back into the inlet, it surely means the engine is breathing in more air, and not oil and vapour? surely better for combustion?

4. misteralz Forum Member

I used an old blue temp sender. It fits perfectly with a new o-ring. :lol:

5. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

hello setone how do I got about going from the bottom breather upwards like how did u get something to fit over the plastic whole or did u use the breather pipe cut it down and the coverd over with your part witch looks (sweet) have u got any sizes for whole also would help as my car isn't around to check. thanks bud

6. Lord0pants Forum Member

Gents, I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 2ltr 8v upgrade (it's originally a Mk1 1.8 Cabby GTI running K-Jet) and I'm wrestling with blocking up the hole on the block. Obviously the ADY donor used the plastic ducting and was plumbed into the system, but what with the WUR of the K-jet occupying this space, it's not straightforward in how to deal with the issue.

I have the TSR mounting plate and blanking plugs...but am loathed to permanently plug up the block with the TSR items.

As an interim solution, I'm considering utilising a sawn-off plastic fitting from the ADY plugged up with sealant (see photo below). This would allow it to be function as a removable plug, so that if I do ever get around to/figure out how to connect the hole to the breather system, I can do so. Obviously, If I push the TSR plug into the block, it's rather more permanent.

Question from me is, will the plug hold sufficiently? Is there much pressure in the block at that point? The plug works well and is tight, but I have no idea how much air/oil pressure the ADY will generate... Will it just force the plug out of the block?

Opinions welcome!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  7. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I have a TSR 2.1 in my car that has their block-off plate (with WUR mounted on top). It's been like that for at least 10 years with no oil pressure issues :thumbup:

8. Lord0pants Forum Member

Thanks Mr. B.

That's not quite what I meant (and reading back, my bad for not being clear)...

I'm using the blanking plate to mount the WUR on, it's the other, smaller round hole I'm referring to (see pic).
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I'm just wondering whether or not the item pictured in my original post above will actually hold in the block?

Sounds like you've blocked all of the breather holes up(??) and haven't had any issues?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to put your mind at rest, could make up a small metal bracket that slips under the bottom left blank bolt then goes across to sit on top of the bung to ensure its held in place. hope that makes sense :lol:

edit: in fact theres a couple stud holes right next to it you could use, bit closer. could make a strap that goes across 2 holes, that way its definitely not going anywhere

edit2: or maybe you could drill a hole in the middle for a bolt, then inside the block have like a metal butterfly wing thingy which grips the inside of the block, tighten the nut on the outside to secure in place

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  10. mr.brown

This is mine on a (presumably) 3A block. Looks factory but I assume it's just pressed in and painted over

[​IMG]

11. mr.brown

12. rubjonny

alternatively as the link above says if your bung is metal you can drill and tap it for a fitting, you could do this before you fit it and use a suitable bolt to block the hole. if you need a block breather you can remove it and pop your fitting on :)

13. Lord0pants Forum Member

Thanks both - genuinely helpful input.

Broadly, it looks like the bung I hashed up might work (as per the Epytec item in the link - it's only held in by the tight fitment/seal). However, I might go to town on it as per Jonny's suggestion with a triple-threat internal butterfly/retention nut combo!

Thanks for the pics Mr B - I could just bash the TSR plate in and forget about it; but the purist in me wants to understand why VW didn't just plug it in the first place and so, I'm trying to keep my options open if I ever guilt myself into getting it plumbed in! Interesting that you've had no problems, so it could well be VW over-engineering a solution...

I'm bolting the whole show/motor back in next weekend, so I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

14. rubjonny

some find the blocks breathe a little too heavy for just the cam breather, but plenty have been fine without it. see how you go with it :)

15. Leigh ivison New Member

I know this is a bit late haha but just wondered if you fitted your abf just I’m looking for a 2.1 but i guess you would of sold it ages ago!!