'Fast Road' harnesses

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jmsheahan, Dec 4, 2018.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Hey all,

I’m looking to install some bucket seats into my Mk2 next year. I love the current Rallye interior I have but need something more supportive. A ‘fast road’ setup if you like.

I have the seats, I have the mounts and now I’m researching restraints.

Originally I planned to just use the original seatbelts but they are close to 30 years old and I’m unsure if they will work that nicely with the new seats.

The car is cageless and will be remaining that way so roll in Schroth harnesses…
    s-l640.jpg

These look like just the ticket - offer the flexibility of a stock seatbelt under normal use with the inertia reel, but more rigidity if using the car on track. My only concern is the fact the mounting point is right back on the rear C pillar (although their actual instruction manual demonstrates a Mk2 in this manner). Something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 14.34.05.png

They also do a 4 point one but I’m not too keen on fixing to the floor in the rear even though the Schroth manual shows it as being ok. Both types illustrated here:

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 14.36.30.png

Thoughts? Is it ok to have such a long belt back to the rear tensioner? The harness thread on here is a useful resource and read but I’d still appreciate some advice on what’s best. What are you guys running?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Picture 1

I have driven `another`s` car on track with a similar set up (not that Schroth belt) ... felt awful, support was not symmetrical on the shoulders.

Picture 2

Not really a four point in the motorsport context but much improved over 1.

I have used a motorsport belt (no inertia reel a la Schroth) mounted as shown, to the existing rear belt mounts - much improved over 1 and probably the best for you, given no cage / harness bar. I personally would not use that Schroth harness and depending on your choice of bucket seat a standard seat belt works well on track, in my personal experience (driver only though !).

As you say, great info. in Chris E`s harness thread ... I use the Willans instructions as a pointer.

jmsheahan likes this.
  3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks Jamesa, that's really helpful! :thumbup:

I had a feeling that might be the case with the 3 point inertia reel design but was hoping due to the middle break point where the straps go into one that would eliminate the offset wonky feeling. The inertia reel would be a nice to have for practicality but not essential.

With option 2, the '4' point, I've read that you should keep the straps behind the seat as short as possible but if bolted to the floor no more than a 45° degree angle (preferably less than 20°).

In essence both of these design end up being quite a long belt length before the mounting point.

Definitely going to try the standard belts as its the easiest option, just not sure if they'll fit properly across the lap especially with my fat arse in them :lol:

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

If my FA will fit I`m sure that you`ll be OK [:D]

I assume that you`re using a subframe, with sidemounts bolted to it for the bucket seat ... to slide into the original runners ?

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Yes exactly that - some custom made Mk2 frames that fit the original runners and then the side mounts bolt to those and the seat :thumbup:

Looking at this maybe the OG belts may actually work... My seats are Corbeau Clubsports so a more budget friendly but similar shape to these Recaro's. Looks like the belt utilises the seat base holes (jury is out whether the buckle clip will fit through when I'm sat in it though :lol:).

. tumblr_o5e0m93YGB1rtxt2wo1_1280.jpg

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Will depend on where the seat ends up ... i.e. how far forward ?

I have the same seats as that passenger item (Pole Position GRP); when I installed it in a Mk2 it was on a Recaro subframe that the belt receiver bolted to, yours will not be I assume ? Saying that I never used the OE belt, always a four point Willans.

All the best with the plans.