Finally, my dream VW. Mk.2 Golf, GTI 8V in alpine white

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Bostjan, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bostjan New Member

Hello friends

It has been some time as i last posted here... So here is a little update.

In the meantime, i was enjoying the car, went on a longer cruse with my girlfriend - around 600 km drive... It performed great.
    Not long ago, i heard a rattling noise coming from the engine bay, going stronger when accelerating. I was dreading to open the hood, in fear of finding out that there is a damage to the motor block or cylinders.
    After inspection i was glad to find out the the problem was in the loose bolt in the alternator. Replaced in with a new one, tighten all the other screws, check that everything is in working order and that was it. Job done.

Was driving it normally, then all of a sudden the car just died and would not start (Thank you Jesus, that it was in front of a local garage, so that i was not in the middle of the road, and that i could have a look under the bonnet right away.

All the normal, simple stuff was ok, so i was getting nervous. The car was not getting any spark, at neither of the plugs. The fuel pump worked, the fuel pump prim also worked, all the relays worked, but i was just not getting any spark.
    Because i had a plan to replace all the vital electrical parts anyway, this was the time to do it.

I got some parts, all new, all OEM :

[​IMG]

- complete ignition distributor BOSCH 0 986 237 638, with sensor, and rotor
    - ignition coil Beru ZS 124
    - spark plugs Beru Z61

And this part, that in the end was the fault of the problem :

[​IMG]

- ignition module Bosch 0227100142

When the ignition module was replaced the car started right up and i was pleased. And happy.

The winter was finally over in Slovenia, and at the start of May, the car got its summer shoes. I like this set up, hope you do to.
    (pictures were taken on a rainy, cloudy day in Slovenia, with a mobile phone, but i hope it does some justice to the car).

[​IMG]

I hope i was not too boring and too long with my post, my work is child play compared to some of the work shown on the forum, but i am proud of it, and i am proud to own this car. Maybe somebody will get any help from this description if they have any similar problem.

erreesse and Toyotec like this.
  2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Never get board of talking about or looking at pictures of Mk2 Golfs :thumbup:
    Sometimes even the newer golfs can be interesting lol
    Nice work looking good Sebrings look very nice that's why I got some .

3. Chtelain New Member

Nice GTi but the electric windows has been modified or installed aftermarket. It's not OEM.
    The front bumper is not original. It must be install the fog light.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Thanks for reporting your experiences Bostjan :thumbup:

5. Bostjan New Member

Electric windows are original, with original switches, original mechanism... That is all i need =)
    Thank you all for looking at my car and commenting.

6. Bostjan New Member

Hello
    Just wanted to show you a little update... Sorry I do not have any pictures, but honestly I did not think to take them, and my girlfriend had just taken a few... God bless Her, that she even tolerates my absence to work on the car.
    Before anything I have replaced the rear lights with all black Fifft lights. I like the look.
    I was finally able to locate another rear bumper and replace the battered one on the car. It was completely destroyed and was bugging me for a long time, but I was just not able to find any better - my God how rare the GTI parts are in Slovenia.
    The one I had on the Golf was there as a replacement too, and also too far gone, it had cracks, the cover for the tow hook was completely destroyed, the paint had cracks all over... Long story short, it went directly to the bin, as this was the part of the car that i just did not take care of and just waited for full replacement from day one.
    This was the state of the underparts of the old bumper, all rusted trough, with dent which caused it to not sit well on the car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new part was complete, healthy underneath and solid on the top, but still not perfect... So I treated the metal parts with new paint and protected it against rust and covered with protecting top rubber coat. The part of the bumper where the tow hook cover is had the top coat of plastic primer and paint cracked and the lines were just a little crooked, so I pulled out the old plastic filler and had a go at it. It has been a while since a worked with this stuff, but I quickly got back in to it. After a day of work, I was happy with the way it looked.

Evening pic of the final fine sanding...
    [​IMG]

Then it was to the garage for primer and paint.
    The end result was very good and I am well pleased with the look of the car. The black trim was treated, so it is good for another year or so, and the sunny days was just so inviting... Some random pictures of the car in the current state.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan for the future is pretty simple and straightforward. I will replace the Remus exhaust for an original OEM or at least OEM look one and that is basically it.
    Thank you for taking the time to look at this thread.
    Regards from sunny Slovenia.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    1990 and erreesse like this.
  7. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice, a crisp white Mk2 on a crisp bright day :thumbup:

8. Bostjan New Member

Hello friends.
    I think it looks good like this also, so i will be sticking to the original GTI look for a while. When i find time and parts i will go ahead and install the fog lights.
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  9. Bostjan New Member

Hello
    First of all, i wish you all a healthy and happy new year, may the joy of working on our beloved cars be with you.
    I have been working on my car under body and i found that the jacking points and the surrounding plate is rusted on both side of the car, some parts of it also rusted trough... I did not see it, because it was rusting under the chipped under body coating... Classic right :/ I am devastated... [%(]
    Well, i am looking for replacement panels, if anybody can help me. Please, if anybody has some left over from their project, or if anybody knows of any healthy ones on the scrappy and would be willing to ship it to Slovenia... In Slovenia there is currently no healthy Golfs on the scrapys, neither anyone has the replacement panels. The car is not a project, it is in daily use and i really need to get this sorted.
    Please, if anybody can help, i pay reasonable but top price.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  10. Bostjan New Member

Hello friends
    It has been long since i wrote anything in my topic.
    Not much has been going on. I have just been enjoying the car, keeping it serviced and doing some touch ups here and there.
    Plans for the future is simple, installing the fog lights and clean the engine bay.
    Meanwhile, it is still going strong and i think that still having the right style and condition.
    Hope you like it.
    Photo is courtesy of my girlfriend Polona. She really has a photographic gift and knowledge, i think.
    [​IMG]

11. Chris92 Forum Member

Looks awesome mate, love a white mk2, heres mine, could be twinslol

[​IMG]

Have you thought about changing the suspension? Maybe lower it a bit?

12. Bostjan New Member

Chris92, they sure do look like brothers. Maybe we should meet halfway from our countrys, maybe in Germany [:D]
    Havent thought about lowering, but lately i am looking into bilstein b6 - eibach prokit combination...
    Hello friends.
    Another year is coming to an end, and another year is added to Golfi the GTI.
    At last my wish came trough, and as of november the GTI is not a daily car anymore, finally i will be able to keep it off the salt in the winter and more important, i will be able to tend to the things it needs done more efficiently. And take the time to do it, not worrying if i will finish before i have to drive somewhere. Really pleased with that.
    Two photos to end the season - the Golfi still got it, i think. I hope you like it.
    As always, photos done by Polona, my dear girlfriend (https://www.instagram.com/cimetovjogurt/)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Happy new year to you all (you, Golfi and Polona!)

blis likes this.
  14. Bostjan New Member

Just posting another photo in "still going strong" style =)
    This year, with the new job, i will have more actual day light time and the Golf will have more proper work done. Really excited about going at it again.
    [​IMG]

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks smart :)

16. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Still looking very nice good work

17. Bostjan New Member

Hello guys.
    Still haven`t sorted the front bumper, just had too good of a time just finally enjoying it, driving when i feel like it and when the weather is nice.
    Still going strong.

[​IMG]
    © Viktorija

18. whitemk2 Forum Member

looks good! miss my old one:(

19. Buzz942 New Member

20. Bostjan New Member

Hello
    I have not been writing here for some time, but finally i have sorted some things on my Golf that were bothering me from the beginning, and i would like to share this with you.

To be honest, there is no place in my life where i can "brag" about it, because no one understands - not my friends, they all think i am nuts that i work on 30 year old car. Not my coworkers - they just dont care. My girl understands - or should i say tolerates.
    Heck, even the guy at the local auto parts store asked me "why am i throwing away money and working on this old piece of ***t"

So... Here, where all of you understand...
    I searched literally for ages, but was not able to find an original set of front and back bumpers, to replace the one i had on the car. Either they were replicas or they were just in to bad of a condition to even bother. I was just accepting the fact that i will have to find some abroad, when i finally caught a break and found them.
    Let me tell you that i actually had to buy two sets (both sellers wanted to sell the pair), in one the front was good, and in the other set, the back was good.

I prepared the new pair of bumpers for paint :
    [​IMG]

When i got them back it was freezing, raining and the light was fading fast, but i just could not resist and i installed the fog lights...
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to do this from the start - i know it might be silly, but the front fog lights are such an important statement on a GTI - and i finally got them. Very , very happy.

Could not wait for the rain to stop.
    This past weekend was very cold and windy, but still, we had a lovely sunny day in Slovenia, so off with the old - front was a replica, and the rear was damaged...
    [​IMG]

And on with the long awaited originals...
    [​IMG]
    Had to play with the "just right" fitment, so i had them on and off a few times :
    [​IMG]

The install process was really not a big deal - despite the initial fear from reading trough the internet "horror stories" of how the motor nearly "fell out" of the car. First i checked the condition of the cross member, it was fine, no rust, and i had supported the weight of the motor with a jack, just to be sure. Then undo the four bolts, no problems there.

The next morning, when there was still some frost in the air, i just could not helped myself and i went for a drive - so proud that the golf finally got his original bumpers back, and the iconic fog lights... This is the current condition of the car - still going strong.

[​IMG]

I was in such a good mood that i also tackled one of the smaller things that was bothering me - the VDO gauges illumination was going on and off, randomly dimming and what not, so i sorted it - probably there was just a connector lose, but i rewired it and now it works like a charm...
    [​IMG]

That is it for this time. I am very happy that i finally completed this task. And now even more proud of the Golfi.
    I still have loads work to do - will have to repaint the valve cover, sort out some rust on the front jacking points area, tidy up the engine bay, try to find Hella red black GTI rear lights that are not damaged and also not cost more than a kidney... But it is an honor actually.

I could go mad sometimes when a task i wanted to do does not go to plan, and i catch myself thinking why did i get myself into this, but at the end, when i look at this "30 years old piece of ***t" as some people call it, it brings a great big smile on my face and a great and humbling realisation that i am very lucky to be able to take care of a car that is such an automotive symbol.
    And i am very glad that i get to share this with you...

1990 likes this.