fitting a log burner* Heating pipe question added*pg2

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by Collie, Nov 24, 2013.

1. gasco

gasco Paid Member Paid Member

Turn power off to the boiler via fused spur. Get hose pipe or bucket open drain valve to release water in heating system. If using hose pipe its worth using a jublee clip to secure it to drain valve. Open air vents on rads in the room above pipes, might be worth opening all rad vents on 1st floor so the air will force all the water out of the pipes/rads. Remember to close all rad vents after draining system. Now you can cut pipes and re route etc. After thats complete make sure you have solder all joints and all rad vents are closed. Now you will have to refill system the system via the filling loop should be under boiler and looks like a braided pipe with a service valve or thumb handle to open and let cold water back into heating system. Depends how new your boiler is it maybe located in the boiler its self and might require a key to operate. This is still with boiler power off. Also you should open this valve slowly it takes a little longer to fill the system but i think its safer so not to disturb any sludge in the boiler. The boiler should have a pressure gauge on the front fill the system to roughly 1.5bar and turn off filling loop. Go around and bleed all air from rads on 1st floor. You will need to top up the pressure as you bleed the rads. repeat this until all rads are bleed. Then do a final top up so the pressure is 1.2bar. Check that the automatic air vent in the boiler is open this is usually at the top of the boiler or on top the pump. It will have a dust cap on it and should be open 1 turn will be fine if closed this will get rid of any trapped air in boiler.Turn boiler on and fire up. This is pretty much the basics this is at your own risk.

Collie likes this.
  2. Collie Forum Junkie

thanks Gasco pipes done today and fire boarding started!!![​IMG]

3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Hi looking good have you got a stove yet ?you check out modern stoves? There stuff seems good quality and they are really helpful I had a pleasant transaction with them and as I said will probably be buying another stove off them at a later date[:D]
    Hope all goes well today if carrying on :thumbup:

4. Collie Forum Junkie

not got one as yet thanks for the pointer

5. Collie Forum Junkie

more work done today fully fire boarded out now.

Next job build hearth and get her in doors to decide what tiles/deco or whatever oh and find some money money and time to do it

tv residing in there for the moment as it was on the wall where the hole is now

[​IMG]

6. Collie Forum Junkie

wow this has taken forever ,, it developed and i had to get a man in!!! he installed a lintel rebuilt the chimney reapired the brest it was fooooooooked cost far too much but today i was finally fittedc and signed off.

needs decorating and refit the sleeper for the mantel cant wait to get it raging hot, ou have to do a few small fires first

[​IMG]

7. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looks good just in time for winter:thumbup:

Collie likes this.
  8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks great!!! When you decorate its going to look like a nice original feature, I bet it added more value than it cost :thumbup:

9. Collie Forum Junkie

hope so 1990 stands me around 1500 (inc buying the fire 400)due to having all the extra building work the house needed. lintel chimney breast and stack

10. Marty's Dub Forum Member

That came out really nicely Collie, top work! The original opening was already compromised. Build small wood fires at first. It'll take a few to get that stove cured, leave the windows open as the smell can get quite toxic. Don't despair, the smell will disappear, all new stoves have to be 'broken in'! Well worth it! Small stoves like constant feeds to get them to operate efficiently! Each stove has different burning characteristics. Get a magnetic stove/flue thermometer, this will help you burn your stove at efficient temperatures and discover its characteristics & potential more easily.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Collie likes this.
  11. Collie Forum Junkie

thanks marty good advice... had 3 small burns so far

i will order one of theose tehrmometers!!

12. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Collie likes this.
  13. Collie Forum Junkie

WICKED but hell yes pricey.

14. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Can't you rig up something using an old car fan and some scrap metal in true CGTI style? [:D]

15. Collie Forum Junkie

i fear wifey may say no

16. gasco

gasco Paid Member Paid Member

Good work. Stove looks very similar to mine firefox 5 cb. You could go for the ecofan original which is half the price of the ultra air, and gives almost the same preformance.

Collie likes this.
  17. Collie Forum Junkie

Inspected the builders register plate install the other day,,wasnt up to my standard, it all got ripped out and re done..

18. Collie Forum Junkie