Fitting BC coilovers to mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by meadus69, Mar 6, 2019.

1. meadus69 New Member

IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5320.JPG IMG_5321.JPG Hi guys,
    I have bought a set of bc coilovers for my mk2, the rears fit fine but the fronts are a little odd.
    I'm going for mk3 top mount upgrade so have those to fit to the new front coilovers.
    Now they come supplied with a little spacer in the bag with the c spanners that I presume is used to locate the top spring plate on the shock. Possibly for when using mk2 top mounts. I think this should fit ontop of the top spring plate for mk2 top mounts but not with mk3.
    The top plate has a hole bigger than the shock absorber so without the spacer it would just float around surely?
    I contacted bc and they sent me a diagram which is labelled for a mk4 golf but this states you don't need the spacer at all.
    I just wanted to check I was putting it together correctly and wondered if anyone else here ran bc coilovers.

I have taken some pictures to try and explain it. I have tried the spacer both on top and below the spring plate but just wondering what people think.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

I would go with bottom pic, as it not serve any purpose at all underneath the top plate

Cheers
    Joe

3. meadus69 New Member

Joe, fitting as the bottom picture was my initial thought but the mk3 bearing has to sit in the recess on the top cap.
    With the spacer under the top plate it still centralises the top plate on the shock it just doesn't fit in as well as the top plate is concave on the bottom. This is what has got me puzzled about the correct fitment!

Tom

4. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

Thread revival :)

I'm just fitting BC Racing BR to my daughters' MK2 GTI but ran into a snag with the rear. BC Racing supplies the top nut but no other nuts. And the VW spec is M10x1 but that doesn't seem to fit. Would you happen to know the size and thread size of the nuts that should go in? I'm talking about a replacement for number 15 on the diagram.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1988-77/5/511-106010/#15

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

They are the same as koni top nuts which have a larger ID.
    They are M12 x 1.25.

Bl4ckGryph0n likes this.
  6. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

Awesome thank you.

Always the case isn’t it that a relatively simple job is held up for four little nuts that weren’t supplied

7. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

For reference and completion.

The BC Racing BR coilovers I received for my MK2 Golf GTI require M10 x 1.25 half nut or lock nuts. They go on smoothly and as per the DIN standard have the exact same height as the original VW lock nuts as well.

Toyotec likes this.
  8. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

I’m wondering whether I’ve been given the wrong ones by BC Racing. The top thread part just isn’t long enough to put the various rubber bits and covers on and then fit the nut.

And the overall length is way way way shorter than the existing shock and spring and they were lowering springs by 40mm as it was. And that is in the highest rise height setting.

They are clearly labelled for a Golf II but don’t seem right. I can’t figure out whether I’m missing a trick somewhere.

9. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

All is good after some swearing and cursing. It was the Lemforder rear suspension fitting kit that caused me troubles. I’ve mixed and matched as the old big rubbers still looked good.

Left the suspension on the highest setting for now. Will do the front tomorrow.

J4ygt likes this.