flow results abf head

Discussion in '16-valve' started by smarte00, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Hotdub16v New Member

Danster is that a Roland manifold from SA.I've used this mani before(itbs) with good results,though that port size is a bit small.i also fill the ports,lifting and shaping it using aluminium cold weld.also saw this on motorsport heads,well they used inserts in the ports.cheers

2. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Smelter heating up:thumbup: Can ye hear it over there?:lol:

3. danster Forum Addict

It is indeed a Rowland manifold. There are a lot of different types available as they seem to use the engine in RWD orientations too out there in SA.
    There are some very impressive spec engines out there. An awful lot of development time involved in a few that I have seen.
    That manifold I posted the pic of was originally designed to run Toyota ITBs on the VW 16v engine. They developed the casting so it could be modified to run Webers / Jenveys too.
    The bridged port presumably added to keep fuel mixture in suspension and reduce port volume.
    The port volume will be important I would imagine. Flow is one thing but the flow starts and stops every time the valve opens and closes. The energy and time it takes to get the charge moving again is something to consider. Inlet pulse tuning will be a factor too.
    All of which are really just trial and error depending on many variables.

I know your smelting Brian. I have just had to turn the stove down! :lol:
    You are do nothing for global warming. :o

4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Ill like to look at it in the fact I dont need a workshop heater.:lol: 2 birds one stone and all that. I also now heat treat some parts that need it directly after knocking them out, saves re heat time...

5. Hotdub16v New Member

Ya same manifold 4 the toyota itb danster,though injector position was very crappy with the toyota throttles.jenvey type throttles worked way better!cant wait 2 c mr hillclimbers findings,but when is the port 2 small effecting volume negatively?

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

The pattern to give people an Idea before I pour. Didn't survive too bad considering its been in my 'organised' pattern store for quiet a while....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one terrible cross section picture, Ill take better pics later, In a rush...2nd melt on...

[​IMG]

Laterz!

BG

7. Neal H Forum Member

I'll buy one please :)

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Got it poured up after that but photobucket was acting silly. I need to re seal pattern for smoothness as the pattern was sealed with a waterbased primer which, as I now know is no good when left sitting for a few months as the surface roughens again after time. This caused some sand to cling to pattern and leave a rough finish. Ive recoated pattern in cellulose high build now and its smooth as silk again. Its the first and last time Ill use waterbase again as it was all I had when I made the pattern that time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even so, the fit is fine as last time bar the finish. It requires minimum fettling to fit and is pretty snug as is. The other one I made, I instructed the guy to use 2 intake studs with shoulders, which fit into a counterbore on the adaptor, these are tightened down and they position and lock adaptor in same place every time should it need to be test fitted or fettled.

I know sale talk is not really allowed on the forum and I dont want to push the rules. The forum has been good to me and its a great spot so sales is not really my intention in here. Im more into coming up with solutions often triggered by problems arising during discussions. Which brings on at times making parts as examples.

Im going to set up a post in the entrepreneurs section shortly so that if needs be, any items I bring to the table can be talked about more, and if anyone wants something, so be it. It will save clogging up the forum with what seem like sales pitches, but thats really not my motive, it just comes about sometimes when people seem something they like. I just like the challenge of making new things!

BG

9. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

so this is one lump assembly brian? gasketed etc

its great to see you "just make one up and cast it" - awesome!

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[:D]

Nice work.

Have you made that dishwasher from scratch yet, Brian? [:p]

11. prof Forum Addict

lots of work to sort out the basic design issues with these heads, surely a fsi head would be more BHP/ in the long run

12. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Great work Brian

put me down for an order off the first batch !

13. Brookster

Shhhhhhhhhh !

14. possle Forum Member

Fsi heads can be fitted to valvers???

15. Brookster

16. Ess Three Forum Member

Me too Brian! :thumbup:
    If you are making, I'm buying...

17. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Yes one part. Gasket either side, but I guess you could use sealer too. The last one I made I did not have to face machine it. Its was perfectly flat both sides direct out of mould. Chills ensure it stays flat. I know the next one will be the same of the now glass smooth pattern.

Ill sort out all that the weekend and strike up some beauties.

Chris, no not yet, would you like one:lol::lol: It would end up pretty heavy Id say!

As for the Fsi heads, maybe, but here they are uber rare yet, and VERY expensive....everyone can get an abf head for cheap I feel?:thumbup:

18. Brookster

Guess who has access to one ;)

19. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I could buy one too, but whos running them? Its a big step for a lot of guys I feel? I think full Fsi trickery is a few yrs off yet until spare heads come online at a right price? What do ya think?

20. possle Forum Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010