Fog Light Fuse keeps blowing....??

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by damogti, Sep 20, 2004.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

The fuse for my fog lights keeps on blowing and i cant find a reason why [:s]

As soon as i click the switch to the first position (For Fronts) the fuse blows. I assume that this is an earth problem but i'm not sure where to start checking......

Can anyone help??

Cheers :)

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

this is actually an anti-chav safety switch.

stops you from using them when it ain't bloody foggy [:D]

3. damogti Forum Junkie

:lol:

Only reason why i noticed they werent working was because it was foggy!!!!

I'm not so bothered about the fronts but the rear one doesnt work either [:s]

4. damogti Forum Junkie

bump.... [:s]

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Have you tried replacing the bulb?

Stupid suggestion maybe.. but a lad at Mid VW on Saturday had spent lots of money at garages trying to solve exactly this problem.. Jody replaced the right hand bulb and problem solved.

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

the golf fogs are shit anyway - may aswell be blown for all the use they are :)

7. Jeff Forum Junkie

no water in the fronts or rears? I had this problem with my corrado because the fronts were cracked, fronts arent an MOT fail but the rears are of course, and the way the switch works you cant put the rear on without the fronts, so if your fronts are damp...

got mine through its MOT by removing the front fogs and draining the fishtank out of them.

8. damogti Forum Junkie

I have tried different bulbs in the rear, but not the front as yet. Will try that next.

The front fogs are in good condition, not cracks or chips and no water/condensation in them.

If i could get the rear one on for the MOT then i wouldnt be too worried as i dont use the fronts anyway.

9. The Other Simon Forum Member

If you pull out the foglight switch, you should be able to measure the resistance of the circuit.

You should be seeing 1.5 ohms or thereabouts for 55W bulbs. (R = V^2 / P)

Simon.

10. damogti Forum Junkie

Thanks Simon, i'll give that a try......

11. damogti Forum Junkie

oh, if i dont get this reading what would that suggest that the problem is??

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

thinking about it, if you took both front fog bulbs out, that might stop them causing a problem, if indeed they have anything to do with it.

could always whack a new fuse in just before the MOT? or does it blow as soon as its switched on?

13. damogti Forum Junkie

It blows as soon as the fronts are switched on....

Will try unplugging the front ones first i think to see if they are definately the problem or whether it is something to do with the switch or something....

Cheers Jeff :)

14. craigynett Forum Member

Hi

i've got a similar problem. Bought my mk2 GTi 16v last week as a project as i knew there's quite a few things need sorting, paid 100 for it [:D]

I noticed the passenger side fog light didn't work so had a nosey & found the bulb blown. The drivers side & rear fogs work fine. IU changed the bulb but as soon as i pressed the switch the fuse blew. So i fitted another fuse & that blew straight away aswell [:s]

I'm going to try a different bulb & if that doesn't work check the wiring. MOT is due like NOW so gotta get it sorted.

Craig

15. damogti Forum Junkie

Ive still got this problem too..... unplugging them didnt make much difference...... [:s]
    Edited by: damogti

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Sounds like some of the wiring has rubbed through somewhere and is earthing itself... Does the fuse still blow if you take the rear bulb out?
    Edited by: rubjonny

17. damogti Forum Junkie

not tried that yet John, will give it a go.....

18. The Other Simon Forum Member

If the reading is much below 1 ohm, then you have a short between the live and the earth somewhere. Then you need to unplug the foglights, try them separately, try the loom with the lights unplugged, etc. Keep going until you find where the short is.

Simon.

19. craigynett Forum Member

I've removed the bulb that i've just fitted to replace the blown bulb & fitted another new bulb. It all works fine now without any fuses blowing.

Must have been a dodgy connection with the other bulb

Craig

20. Dave B Forum Member

This is v common, the fogs are probably one of the worst areas for the terminals corroding, esp if they have been replaced before, make sure the seal (rubber) is still inside the water tight (yeh right|) cap on the rear of the light unit, insulate all wires right down to the connectors and take into account that when you refit the cap to the rear of the light you are twisting the associated wiring in the cap, dont take much to get em to short against each other NB horn on same fuse!? ;)