Foglights not working help needed!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Richard Gilberd, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

Hi all, as in the title my fogs are not working front or back the switch has no power to it at all but when i jump the relay they work? the relay is a 53 and definately a good one as i've tested it and i have three to choose from!! could this be main light switch related? that it's not giving power to the fog light switch when they are turned on? any ideas very welcome!

so here's a bit of a test, does anyone know where this plug goes? IMG_1485[1].JPG

2. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

Okay no replies!! well i geuss it is summer! anyway i got the foglights working it turns out the previous owner had cut the control wire from the main headlight switch causing the relay not to switch, wired that up and the jobs a good un, still worried about where this plug goes though so if anyone has any ideas i'd love to know about it.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

replied to your thread, which wire was cut exactly? because the fog relay is triggered by the grey/green wire for the number plate lights and power input to the dimmer wheel, headlight switch pin 58 on switch to R/7 on the fusebox. If that wire was cut you would have no dash or plate lights!

spare plug is headlight range control switch :)

4. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

thanks for the reply!!, yes indeed it was the grey-green, didn't notice no plate lights or dash lights as they are not yet installed, thanks for clearing up the missing plug i geuss i don't have headlight control range? so it's spare!

5. rubjonny

the motors are on the headlamps if you have them, it was required by law in germany from around 90 onwards I think?

6. Richard Gilberd Forum Member

Ha interesting, definately no motors on the headlamps and i wont be putting them back in!, this car definately had a frontal at some stage as it has repro smash panel and the bonnet was definatgely repaired, i'm geussing at that stage all the motors e.t.c were removed.

7. rubjonny

yeah whoever did the work must have put normal lights on and either didnt bother swapping the motors oover or they were too badly damaged. No big deal, I've never used mine except for fun :lol: