Frazero Golf VR6 Race Car

Discussion in 'VAG Motorsport' started by pascal77uk, Apr 25, 2008.

1. babbe Forum Member

Looks awasome.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    pascal77uk likes this.
  2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, all coming together .

3. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Had a long phone call with Ben @Nankang Motorposrt yesterday about the control tyres for the VW Classic cup. Really helpful chat discussing options, pressures and cambers. And have decided on a straight set up all round for this year. The tyres are on a boat and on its way over so I’m told. Should be here in the next week. Which is perfect timing.

As some will know I have a bit of a rubber fetish lol. Will always remember the first time I fitted performance tyres to my mk1 GTi back in 1995. I bought some Pirelli P600s to go on 13 inch rims. Rather than fitting the standard 175/70/13 or opting to go low profile 185/60/13 I found Pirelli did a 185/50/13 fittment for a metro GTi and went for that. The mk1 was on a lowered Spax damper set up and the difference the tyres made was unbelievable. So ever since I’ve been obsessed with rubber lol. And had the same feeling when I found cut slicks Ex VW Cup Dunlop D01Js in 2003 and then later with full slicks in 2006.

4211609A-29D1-455E-87CA-850E876FF861.jpeg

So made a trip to the bat cave to pick up some rims ready for the delivery of the new boots and I might have a set of lightly used ones coming for some shake down laps and to get a feel for the AR-1s, before we start testing.

On a side note I had a chat with a friend who keeps an eye on this thread earlier and he said it’s more like a blog than a thread. Well we seem to be getting near a 1000 hits per week now so people must enjoy reading so I shall keep on posting!

Tristan likes this.
  4. Tristan Forum Junkie

Can you just ring them as a typical Joe Bloggs ?

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I’m sure you could. Or maybe a lead in through TPS might be worth a shout. Are you considering it ?

6. Tristan Forum Junkie

I'm thinking of treating myself to some sticky tyres , and Dad uses R888r on the Audi , be nice to try something else.

7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry thought you were still talking about the stub axels.

You have to use a distributor for Nankang. We get a discount for the Classic Cup but all other authorised dealers have to stick to RRP’s on them.

But from what I hear they are decent track tyres. Better the 888s and as good as the Dunlop’s and come in quicker!

Tristan likes this.
  8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

A couple of old photos from the glory years.

0A320A50-C5FA-4425-9000-DEDE9FB99397.jpeg

Steve Walker at the helm about to destroy another bollard !

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

FCF87C4D-7D27-41E7-8A56-30483C0BD461.jpeg

Update from Proflex today, as they are now on the work bench for rebuild.

The dampers were not working correctly. One rear had lost a quantity of oil and both fronts were without gas pressure. We plan to upgrade all the canisters to sliding piston (2018 spec) which should remove the possibility of gas pressure problems and also give better damper performance. Other work required are normal service items, piston rod seal kits, Piston rings,front bumpstop rubbers, inserts and casing PTFE bushes, a selection of assorted '0' rings and new damper oil.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Admin

Had a quick look into the stub axles, as you say the polo ones are NLA though the hubs are available.

Another possible route is the Lupo setup with the separate caliper mounting plates, the stubs for this setup are still available though not cheap at £159.73+VAT per side. These use the same hubs as the polo stuff so those at least are available cheap.

though the polo stubs are pretty beeft probably would have to work very hard to damage them!

13. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hey Jonny.

Yea the hubs are later 9N2 which go up to 2009 so relatively current. Also consumables so stocked I guess.

I will have a look at the lupo option thanks. I had heard you could do it with Lupo parts but thought they were the same as the polo ones. Can you pull up any EKTA drawing of them and part numbers thanks.

Yea the polo gti ones are pretty solid. But really hard to get hold of. If I stay this with this route I will need to stock pile a few sets.

14. rubjonny

15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the link. Ive had a look at those and think I will stick to the Polo GTi stuff. With lupo parts and the camber space it’s a lot to bolt up. Too many bits.

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

The dampers are all ready and Proflex have posted them back. Photos to follow on arrival. Also had a few conversations with Simon from AST about 4 way adjustable Moton dampers for next year when we upgrade the uprights to either Kit car or Super Tourer depending on what comes up. Planing next years upgrades already lol

1.8T_mk2 likes this.
  17. rubjonny

Yeah the only real advantage to the lupo stuff is the stubs are available from VW, I expect the polo ones will become available from classic parts at some point

18. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Can't be much more to do now if you're already planning for next years mods :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this in action :thumbup:

19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks mate. Feel like it’s nearly finished hence planning. But Always lots to do, does it ever end lol !

Rolling road
    Re drill rear discs and centre bore
    Fit sub axels
    Machine calipers carriers
    Heated windscreen
    Seat belts
    Tyres
    Corner weight and Geo set up
    Fit new dash
    Door cards
    Front splitter
    Brake cylinders
    Door handles and T pulls

Think that’s it.

20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

The new steering wheel arrived earlier. A Sparco 383 330mm wheel.

Really sits nicely in the hands.

4750F50E-1CCE-4918-A2EB-817A895A7CF0.jpeg

And a cover to try and keep it clean.

DDAF35C7-146C-44E5-B279-34753B21632C.jpeg