From K-Jet to Digi.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Tubthumped, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Right, serious help and advice time here.

Been speaking to Jody at midland vw and discussing 'whats next' for my car.

It's gonna get a nice head, big valves and some schrick cams at some point, which should take me up to that nice 200bhp area -- but k-jet is on, or close to it's limit at that point.
    So then you have to look at alternative fueling (throttle bodies and the likes) which is big money to get any further.

SO.. he suggested that i put the ABF back to it's original digi setup and team that up with the cams and head. Saying it can then be mapped to suit and you get far better engine managment than with k-jet. Also, you can easily screw in diferent injectors (G60 for example) if you need to flow more fuel.. wheras you can't on k-jet.

So, should i go for the digi managment i've always sworn against on 8v's?
    Edited by: Tubthumped

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`d have though the best bet would be to go for the ABF management out of a mk3, need the fuel pump loom, knock sensors ecu etc?

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Yeah, got all the stuff neded to go back to the ABF magement. Just after peoples opinions on the tuning scope of it and what i wanna do... ?

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I think if I ditched the k-jet I`d like to try a set of bike throttle bodies on mappable management, big money for the ecu but I`ve read a few people using peugeot stuff. Have you looked in the mk3 section on vortex, see what they`re getting with theirs?

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I was thinking about the TB's route.. but i can't see how it could be done for the price it would cost to go back to digi -- but would digi work and be worth it... thats another question.

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I always wondered about using two throttle bodies with separate intakes and metering heads but I suppose getting 8 injectors to sit nicely may take some thinking about. I once saw a 16v at Well lane that had 4 extra injectors fitted under the manifold but I couldnt see how.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Stealthwagon runs 4 extra injectors and k-star on his kr turbo, thing you`ve got to weigh up is, is there going to be less restriction to airflow running the abf management, I know gary compared his torque graphs to a few mk3`s and they seem to be smoother, most getting to 160-170 near stock.

Worste thing with k-jet and wilder cams is how they tickover, the flap gets moved all over the place!

8. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Well Jody seems to think that the far more accurate fueling will make for much better power delivery throughout the rev range.

Obviously TB's are the way to go, and he can set me up on TB's for around 1500, but he says that an ABF digi system with the mods i'm planning + a re-map would be just as good and FAR cheaper.

9. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

defo way to go Tub.....

Get rid of the kjet for sure.....

10. mk1. Forum Junkie

it can be done cheaply if you look about,me mate uses bike t/b`s on his kit car,also uses the pug ecu same as me,50 should get you the ecu,loom,coil pack,pick up wheel,bike bodies can be found on e-bay,just a case of making a inlet manifold :p

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

OK, so who can make an inlet manifold?

And what bits are needed?

What bikes do you take the TB's off?

12. altern8 Forum Junkie

speak to 800g's

13. mk1. Forum Junkie

me mates are bike throttle bodies from a suzzie 1300 hyabussa and are 46mm,I might have a go at making a manifold for mine as the one I use is restrictive(was going to order one of bill but never got round to it [:$] )ile use the lower 16v manifold as a starting point

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

What pug ECU do you use?

I was told 750cc and over for the bodies, gsxr1000 ideally, one lad has chopped the plenum off his intake manifold and used that, although you`ll have probs blocking the injector holes off?

I`ve been looking into it a bit, haven`t had the time or mone to get anything done though!

15. mk1. Forum Junkie

check out this site,the yellow lotus type kitcar is my mates,built from scratch
    http://www.chipwizards.co.uk/

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Let's hope they can map out that f'kin *awful* idle hang up that ABF MK3s have, makes it sound like you can't drive! :lol:

NeilP had the ABF management on his Ibiza 16v re-chipped when he had a head and cams before going throttle bodies, the idle/response was as bad as one on K-Jet ;)

It's not just the mechanical injection that is upset by the cams,it's all to do with a plenum type inlet manifold too ;)

I'd like to see a 16v set up properly on ABF managment, as it has knock-control etc, it's got to be more efficient than k-jet, but until I see one that works well i'll stick to the crap-flap :lol:

Edited by: G_V_K

17. chrismc Forum Junkie

Surely its a load of aggro converting to digi, especially as there wont be any significant BHP gain over a well sorted K-Jet.....

Id be more inclined to aim for an IanB type setup initially. K-Jet cant be that bad if people are achieving 200+BHP

So is it possible to fit Bigger Valves in a 16v head then??? Was always under the impression it wasnt possible... [:s]

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It's possible Chris,but the valves are (even more) shrouded apparently

19. ianb Forum Member

I 'm very happy with my set up but if I had the budget I'd go for ABF set up with ECU OR VW MotorSport metering unit plus DTA mapping or Emerald oh and solid lifter head......pure track car though !! 304 Schricks!!

Marginal speed gains in real world driving on the road thats the advantage my car and Matt D's car have ie good torque spread for road use and a nice top end power delivery....not the most you can get but not far away for very little expense in comparison with the above

Good on track too

Ianb

20. NormanCoal Forum Member

Its a pity I never got to see mine on the rollers [:^(] , would have been interesting to see how it performed in comparison to a similar K-Jet car on the same day