From K-Jet to Digi.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Tubthumped, Mar 15, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, that is a shame CP [:^(]

2. boda_no1 New Member

seems like too much money for for very little gain to me. From experience with my ABF I would say that you will have a really really bad idle from wildish cams unless you spend big money on a totally mappable system.

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and go to:

[​IMG]

4. prof Forum Addict

Boda who mapped yours?

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Agreed - the ABF digifant system used a MAP sensor in the ECU itself for load readings - it will get well screwy with wildish cams.

The way to go is an aftermarket ECU, one that a local RR can map for you easily - mine (Lumenition 451) has paid for itself many times over since I have had it - at least 10 remaps at various times at 60-100 a time - Stealth/AMD would charge you 350 easy and you have to go to them which aint that convenient unless you live close - 2hr drive for me whereas my local RR is 5 mins drive - he's a Lumenition agent and thats why I went lumenition, simple as that, and he knows how to work them - an ECU is only as good as the mapping so getting a well fancy one is no good at all unless you are going to use someone that is familiar with them. Fitted the ECU cost about 1100 and that was with mapping and loom etc. Bargain in the long run if you intend to develop an engine through several iterations.

Cheers

Rob

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yup,that's what I think too ;) But I'm willing to be proved wrong if anyone can map ABF to accomodate wild cams ;)

I know Emeralds M3D gets bad press for forced induction applications, but I was speaking to one of the lads at Autosport-international, he was saying they have fixed price mapping of 200 regardless of the time it takes, so if it takes 2 hrs, it's 200, if it takes till 10pm ( his words) it's still 200 :)

Quite a lot of the Elise boys use that system with throttle bodies.

I know SBD charged MAD20V 350 to map his MBE system when he went to 52mm throttle bodies

Edited by: G_V_K

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Can the ABF drive a set of throttle bodies? I suppose if it uses map for the fueling it`s a non starter?

8. NormanCoal Forum Member

The ABF can be mapped to TB's, but it still goes to what is being said before, not the same kind of management as DTA/Lumenition etc. It would be a remap instead of a reprogram if you see what I mean

Tub, how about a 20V head??? Have you thought about that?

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

New post about to go up Chris..

10. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Well point to note:
    A cam customer of mine, with ABF motor wanted split durations 268/276, but then found he could'nt get the ABF mapped to run smooth. Was advised in the end to go no more than 260's, which were duely mapped in ok.
    260's being mild cams.. does'nt bode well for making an ABF's ecu run properly. This was mapped by Vince with Geoff Everett on Stealths rollers.

Make of that what you will.

I am working on a local car, which is ABF injection/plenum on a 1.9KR motor, running DTA. Do what you want with that ecu as its easy to map and does'nt need MAP sensor input for n/a application.

The key is the mapping of the ecu and the flexibility and expertise of the person who sets it up.

Bill