Front bumpstops and 40mm Eibach springs - advice needed

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Volks42, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Volks42 Forum Member

I ordered a full suspension kit from Classic VW, it came with full front shocks, Eibach springs and new Febi bump stops. Marked as ready to fit.

Fitted it, thought the car looked a lot higher than expected, put it down to new top mounts and went to bed. Came out the next day and found the problem was the bump stops - sitting idle on flat ground the top mount was resting on the bump stops so I had no suspension travel.

I took the bump stops out and cut out about 30mm in the middle and refitted. I get some suspension movement now when on the ground, but looking at the shock absorber it looks about an inch of visible shaft before the shorter bumpstop.

I've yet to drive it as I'm waiting for missing parts for the rear springs before I can fit them. But does this sound right? I jump on the front bumper and get some suspension as far as I can tell (I'm not that heavy) and when I jack the car up I get plenty of droop on the spring. Just want to be sure the bump stop is short enough or if I need to take even more out of it. It feels weird I need to cut them down at all, 40mm drop isn't that much. But can't think what else is to blame, all the other bits are new.

2. Volks42 Forum Member

Photos of how the bumpstops look on the car under load - you can see the gap roughly between the cut down bump stop and the dust cover.

Attached Files:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm weird. I have 40mm eibach spring kit and have standard bump stops?

4. Volks42 Forum Member

5. rubjonny

ah, mine was a mk2 golf. didnt think you would have to for a mk1 either but clearly you needed to. if it works it works anyway :)

6. Volks42 Forum Member

Ah okay - it's very weird, but I'll give it a go - picture of when I added them (before cutting the bump stops) you can see the height of the front arch, ridiculously high for a lowering spring.

Attached Files:

7. rubjonny

yeah I wouldnt worry about it clearly you had no shock travel before modding so it needed doing regardless :)

8. Volks42 Forum Member

Thanks Jonny! Will see if I cut them enough once I get the rear springs sorted!