Front wishbone torque figure

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Joehough, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone know correct torque figure for front wishbone forward bolt that is horizontal and goes into subframe? Haynes say 96ft pound bit mine has stripped the thread.

Cheers
    Joe

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Difficult fix, not impossible. Need to do open heart surgery on it using a ginder, then weld a new captive nut in there.
    Don't envy you, done a couple and the proper fix is to scrap the subframe and replace it
    Jon

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah thats the right figure, but tbh I dont bother followign the torques for this kind of thing just give it a damn good pull on a socket. only thing I would bother with torques are engine internals, head bolts etc & clutch bolts

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I'm with Jonny on this.
    Wheel nuts/bolts on the rally car also. (massive temp diff, start to finish of stage)
    Jon

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Also, on that particular bolt, it shouldn't be tightened until the car is on its wheels, to avoid putting an unnatural twist into the bushings .

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Good point
    Jon

Tristan likes this.
  7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

And a test re-tighten after a week
    Jon

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

Only if its an OEM bushing, poly it doesnt matter.

9. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

I did replace both captive nuts on mine.
    Had to cut open the floor pan for proper access and grind the bolt head away underneath at the subframe, lift out from inside and weld new nut in. As a temp fix *not advised* you can use a high tensile bolt and lock nut pushed through from subframe to floor pan.

Rich.

10. Joehough

Cheers for replies, got a feeling I got the bolts mixed up and put a shorter one in (I had subframe off at the same time). Bit fed up with it at the mo so will resume work on after the New Year. If it is wrong bolt then maybe only stripped a few threads. Also what about a helicoil?

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Can't remember the bolt size, M12 or M14, but there is more than one pitch of thread for bolts of that size
    in my box of 'useful' bolts.
    Is it possible you've fitted the wrong pitch?
    My starting point for a repair like this would be to buy a long tap of the correct pitch
    and run it up.
    Then try an 'as new' bolt in.
    Jon
    Helicoil may work, access is poor, as you know..

12. Joehough

Hi Jon they are all m12 x 1.5, that is the four subframe bolts and 2 front wishbone front bolts, but differ slightly in length. By a process of deduction seeing which bolts protruded equal lengths through the four subframe to body holes I selected two for the wishbone. Will update after Christmas.

13. rubjonny

if the threads are stripped in the captive nut no problem. the VW repair for this involves drilling up thru the top of the captive nut and running a tap up it, then buy some longer bolts. its covered in the wishbone spinny bolt FAQ on here somewhere

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Great info. I could do with some longer than standard horizontal through wishbone bolts to assist mounting
    my sumpguard on my (getting rebuilt ..) mk2 rally car very very soon. Anybody know a source for these?
    Local nut and bolt factors very unhelpful, last time I tried
    Jon

15. rubjonny

how much longer? stock is M12x1.5x82mm, quick search in etka gets me these:
    WHT000646 - M12x1.5x90 - 3.50+VAT
    WHT006736 - M12x1.5x95 - 6.95+VAT (w/ built in washer)

cant say what tensile they are mind! 1st one isnt listed for anything, 2nd is an anti-roll bar bracket on a 2012 crafter

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Excellent, many thanks, will get some ordered
    Merry Xmas
    Jon

17. Joehough

Good news I got away with it. I had mixed up the rear subframe bolt with the horizontal wishbone one. It must of only engaged in a few threads when it stripped, so I cleaned up the bolt with a die and fit it back up tight but not to the torque figures and all good. Also fixed the powered steering leak the hose from pump had not engaged properly in the rack so I ring was not seated. Also finally got the tightness of the top mounts just right. Still got a slight clunk when releasing clutch, but hope that is the front mount, and or front crossmember bushes, which I will do tomorrow.

Tristan likes this.
  18. Joehough

Yep front mount completely shot. Didn't realise it was oil filled till I tipped it upside down. New mount and crossmember bushes fitted almost, then ready for mot.

19. rubjonny

great stuff :) The mk3 golf & G60 use a slightly longer rear wishbone bolt if you're worried, but if it was only a couple of threads that got damaged whats left should be fine

20. Joehough

Thanks Jonny, it's all back together now and it now drives like a brand new car, and how I remember my new 8 valve 31 years ago! The horibble exhaust boom has also gone, so I guess engine was moving enough for front silencer to touch something. Have ordered a set eibach springs as it looks too high on the standard ones that I fitted.