Fuel pressure regulator

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Rob8vGTi, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    Second issue of the day.
    While trying to sort out the hunting after a restart issue, I’ve noticed that the fuel pressure regulator is only secured by 1 fixing.
    Does anybody know the size of the fixing that secures it to the fuel rail? Pictured below.
    Also the fuel pipe has seen better days, what size should I replace it with while I’m in there?
    Regards Rob
    upload_2022-1-16_17-58-18.jpeg

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

M6 or m8. Pretty sure it's m6.

3. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

I tried both a m5 & m6 but couldn’t get it to bit. Didn’t have an m8 but I think that would have been to big and not pass through the bracket.
    I do think that if it is m6 then it’s been mullered as I couldn’t really see any thread inside.

4. H8V

h8v Forum Member

That's likely to be why there's no screw in it!

5. jdmoyers New Member

To replace the hose, do you mean the moulded hose that connects to the plastic lines? If you've got deep pockets then you can get new replacements. Heritage supply one as a special order item (sit down when you look at the price) and the other can be obtained from an American website called ECS tuning. That one is more reasonable, but the shipping cost is very high!

Rob8vGTi likes this.
  6. Tristan

I've always used braided metal lined fuel hose with good quality hose clips. Never had any problems.

Rob8vGTi likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

early rail are self tapper bolts, late are M6. compare to the other bolt holding it in then you'll see

8. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Did try but it’s behind the cam belt cover so hard to access. Was hoping to find out which I needed before I I start pulling it apart. You say it could be a self tapper, that would explain what looks like damage to the thread/hole.

9. rubjonny

yeah either that or its a late one which I assume has metal threaded inserts for the M6 bolts which has been ripped out so it doesnt really help all that much :lol:

10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Time for a helicoil......

11. Tristan

Or drill through and fit a small bolt and nut. There's not much pressure on it.

12. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

13. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers all.
    Phil Ryder, I am considering doing a helicoil, I’ve ordered a new set of seals for the valve and when they arrive I may go that way @Tristan, again consider it but not 100% that it’s solid and secondly as illustrated in zenders diagram the other side is on a slant so would be difficult to do.
    Zender, I’ve seen this and other than tell me the fixing is 6x19 I could find much more out.
    Let see what the weekend and the repair kit brings

14. rubjonny

main thing before you mess is check what thread the other bolt has, and try it in the hole where the bolt is missing. might just need a new self-tapping bolt and no need for any other messing about

Rob8vGTi likes this.