Fuel pump's..??

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ShaunyC, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Hi people wondered if you could give me some advice on fuel pump's..??
    I'v got in my head to fit a spare wheel fuel tank everything's going to be on show (no interior off back in) this is what know
    fuelsystem.jpg

The engine going in my mk1 is a 20vt i'v been looking at deamon tweek's Facet pump's or one's like them.. What's the differance between high and low preasure pumps..?? Is that what solid state pumps are..??
    Any info on the subject would be much apreciated..

Thanx Shaun

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2020
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i would fit a k-jet gti mk1 main pump, will be good enough for pretty much anything you decide to throw at it :thumbup:

just need some kind of low pressure pump to keep the swirl pot topped up, the one you go for depends on the tank you get, but some kind of facet low pressure inline jobber should do you I expect

3. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Hi John thanx for reply.. Yea i did read somewhere (think a post off you) that kjet is about as good as your getting.. Just wondered if i could get a shiniy one to do the same..?? Even if there is i might as well class that as an upgrade in the future (quite pricey) Do you have any idea of values i shud be looking at for a sutibale low pressure pump.? Back to high pressure.. do you think the fuel pump off my donor car will be any good.? A4 1.8t AEB.?

Thanx Shaun

4. rubjonny

trouble with the mk3/4 main pump is it sits inside the main tank, which is no good for you as you want an external one. if you could somehow make your fuel tank accept a mk4 fuel pump then you would be laughing, drop it in there and job done.

can get good Bosch or pierburg inline k-jet pumps for cheap off ebay, sometimes new ones come up cheap. the Bosch 44 motorsport pump is even better but i think this would be overkill for you. with the feed pump any low spec item will do, all it has to do is keep the swirl pot topped up for you. there will be a fair amount of fuel sent back from the engine down the return pipe too.

5. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Hi mate.. yea looked in haynes last night realised pumps in tank.. Also found good thread some one wanting 400bhp+.. I don't want that much, 200ish.. maybe on way to 3 in time..?? But it quoted some pumps bocsh o44 (very dear and over kill like you say) walbro but that suffers from starvation or surge..?? (cant remember) I had a little look on ebay.. found a Sytec pump good to 300bhp 204l/h @3bar.. any good.? another thing though is i talked to someone at gti inter who said the 4bar fprv is a direct swap upgrade.?? not sure if i heard wrong and made my own story up, lol.. will the pump do.? it says max 10bar pressure, as pressure goes up does flow rate drop.?
    Does lift pump = low pressue pump
    accumulator = swirl pot

Wow.. sorry for so many question, i'v read through loads of stuff and seem's to get more confussing, lol

Thanx Shaun

6. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Isnt the easiest thing )for road use) the standard k-jet fuel pump as suggested, in the normal gti place connected to the normal gti tank.

7. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Easy..??? haha nothing's bin easy for me up to know.. why stop there, lol.. I'm not too bothered about road use..

8. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Four years later i'm finally doing this lol
    Was having a debate with myself about a spare wheel fuel tank but decided to keep it under the car..
    I'm looking at the tanks amd getting a bit confused about outlets i see the gti tank has an extra outlet/return but then on orher diagrams i see outlet/inlet on the fuel sender?
    Pretty sure i want a gti tank but would jst like to know whts going on with all these inlet outlets?
    Is there two types of senders? One woth outlets obe without.. I've read to usea polo sender with lift pump in tank but keepong it all external(eaiser to fix/check if i have problems starting up)
    So apary from tank and sender decisions my kit is gona consist of ..
    lift pump http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111546998357&alt=web

High pressure pump http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=391123992216&alt=web

1.5 litre swirl pot, fuel filter.. Regards the fuel filter i read somthing about the gti needs bigger "propper" filter?
    All these gubbins are going in my spare wheel well plumbed in braid etc

I think the pumps and ancilarys i should be able to suss just wouldnt mind abit of guidence on tank sender set up..

Cheers

9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Why not stick with the intank lift pump ? [:s]

10. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

From what i'be read the mk1 dosent have an in tank fuel pump, aparently a polo sender can be used that has a lift pump incoperated.. The float needs adjusting(bending to suit) but as i mentioned i'd rather keep the lift pump out the tank for..
    1/ if i can help it i dont want to remove the access cover on the rear seat shelf(i've sprayed it in)
    2/ i'm gona asume its not gona start first turn so will be less hassel testing things
    3/ when reading details on a facet lift pump it mention only having 6000 hours life expectancy so once again less hassle getting to it to test/change

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

mk2 scirocco's and mk1 cab's had a lift pump the same as early mk2's
    you just need the sender unit to match it

12. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Arrr right.. need to get a sender sorted so will keep an open mind, you know what the difference is about outlet/inlets?
    Aiming to keep it out of tank for teating purposes will get it all in ally case in spare wheel well or behind driver

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  13. rubjonny

have a look inside your tank. if theres a big plastic box on the bottom its a GTI tank with an internal swirl pot, the outlet on the bottom driver side is fine to feed your main pump providing the swirl pot is ok. The internal swirl pot also means the cab/rocco/polo lifter pump wont fit as it gets in the way!

if your internal swirl pot is buggered fit an inline pump to the bottom outlet feeding an external swirl pot then run your main pump to that, job jobbed :)

14. rubjonny

15. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

I dont have a tank... And whats worse i reverted back to thinking about a spare wheel tank designs last night at work lol

Managed to get my head around some things tho, as in..
    Swirl pot size.. nabbed this from somewhere
    1.5L needed

Also fuel demand for pumps.

35GPH needed

Also worked injector size out.. Well used a
    calculator..
    http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator

440-550cc needed-ish..
    Reading up about some vxr ones (blue) or genesis 550's

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  16. rubjonny

ah! well the aftermarket GTI tanks are rubbish so avoid those, go for a carb mk1 tank with lift pump and swirl pot or genuine gti tank with a good condition genuien vw gti tank with just the main pump under the car.

or a tank in the spare wheel well with supply pump, swirl pot and main pump of your choosing.

You must have been a woman in a past life :lol:

17. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Lol thanx for that RJ.. But i only wear a dress on days that end in Y ;) lol

As you see i cant even make my mind up about posting previous post lol

18. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Right finally made my mind up (huray lol) and got some bits on the way.. Carby tank, support straps, filler neck, rubber tank to neck hose and breather hose.. Will suss the rubber gasket neck to body once these bits are here..

Soo regarding the breather.. I see it basically conects to the top of the filler neck.. That then is not venting the tank.
    I asume if it was with a carb system it wouldnt create much preasure as its being burnt off as such using the fuel but with a preasuised application such as the gti tank it has that gravity valve thingy to "suck off" the negative pressure.. How is this achieved with a carby tank? Ventable fuel cap?

As I've gone carby tank that means i'm in the process of looking for a cabby/mk2 rocco sender/lift pump.. The polo gt/g40 seems pretty scarse and i cant find a part number to see if its on anything else, ibiza/fabia or something..

Also regarding one of these intank lift pumps is there any limits ie how high can it pump? As not sure where the swirl pot is going? thinking engine bay maybe..

19. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Wow 4 years to make your mind up , hope I get things sorted a little bit quicker lol

20. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Lol at this rate i'll probably be passing it onto my kids, that is once i have some and whenever i make my mind up about that lol