Fuel pump's..??

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ShaunyC, Aug 7, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

apparently the GTI cap is non-vented according to a member on the mk1 oc, with "Ohne blau Lftung" on the cap. Although I see no evidence of that in ETKA, they all seem to have the same cap regardless?

there is a large vent towards the top of the filler neck, as well as the small nipple on the tank going to the gravity valve, which then vents under the car. heres a view in the arch:
    [​IMG]

and an overview of then fuel tank breather system:
    [​IMG]

2. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Without blue ventilation... Blue? lol well that dosent explain these....
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191619587126&alt=web

I see on gti's it has gravity valve(which is the extra inlets/outlets i was bleeting on abaput earlier in the thtead, lol)
    But now that i'm using a 'carb' tank which dosent have the extra ports(or the dodgey swirl pot so i can slot my polo g40 sender and pump in ;))how is this achieved.. a cap such as as the link above or maybe a inline 'snorkle' type valve in the breather hose? Like this...
    http://www.competitionsupplies.com/...-one-way-valves/aps-fuel-tank-breather-valves

3. rubjonny

ah i see the problem then, id assume you need a vented tank cap? another option is fit a T piece in the fat breather pipe for the gravity valve :)

I'll try to remember to get my haynes out later, see what the carby breather setup looks like

4. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Cheers john :thumb: I'll see if i can find a shiney vented cap for the easy option if not i'll split the breather pipe..

What you reckon about the lift pump.. Is there a limit in distance/hight for supply.. Thinking about swirl pot in engine bay? But then will that reduce the efficiency of the high pressure pump being in a warm area?

5. rubjonny

ive heard of a few guys running carby engines off the lifter so i would say it will be fine, but if it was me id keep the pot, pump and filter under the car :)

6. BenGould New Member

I run my AGU engined Scirocco using an in tank pump from an injection car, in a carbed car tank, feeding a swirl pot and Bosch 044 pump mounted in the engine bay (right at the front behind the OS headlight). The heat doesn't seem to be an issue for the pump at all.

The main pump has always been there, only put the swirl pot in recently, before it would starve the main pump of fuel on long fast bends. Not had any issues since I've fitted it, even located so far forward in the engine bay.

Also, I haven't changed the fuel cap, still using the one that came on the car. I do have the filler neck breather and gravity valve setup though. Does this eliminate the need for a vented cap??

Ben.

7. rubjonny

mk2 rocco use the same tank for carb and injection, and looking at it theres no specific cap for carb or injection, though there is a specific one for catalyst cars

etka also mentions a specific gravity valve for carb and diesel cars, so where its hooked up to I'm not sure if the carb tanks dont have the smaller nipple on... will need to dig out my haynes, forgot last night :lol:

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

this site never ceases to amaze me. great work helping others, there are some real nuggets of info on here.
    thanks
    Jon