*Full report post 149 * Curborough Bank holiday May 30th 2016.

Discussion in 'VAG Trackday Tour' started by Toyotec, Mar 29, 2016.

1. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Gutted I missed this :(

Sounds like all had a good time.

Defo going to be at the next one! Might even have a working car to bring! lol

Toyotec likes this.
  2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Once again thanks to all those involved, attendees, spectators, and particularly those who made the event possible. It could of been a very different day in prospect, but the weather was just about perfect. Enough sun to cause many of us to play with tyres/pressures in the afternoon. Also a great way for another Paul to coincidently mark 20 years of ownership :thumbup:

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who arrived late, but apologies none the less. Thanks for the welcome and the Tesla ride Ernie ;)

Sirguydo and Toyotec like this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Times sent via email and rank order of the day shared.

I will be brief until later as I have lots and lots to report on the day.

We had 27 cars, 31 drivers, beautiful weather and a great social time.

Some regular uber fast machines and the rise of the modern power train to teach us a thing or 3 about the future of grassroots motorsport.

Out of 15 runs I only drove 4. For me these days that are arranged for you, are not only about participating, it is about meeting real people face to face to ensure you were all comfortable and having a good chat about what you enjoy about your pride and joy. I was more than happy to chat with almost everyone to ensure they were having a good time. If I missed you my apologies.

I have posted the data to everyone who has participated via email. Let me know if you do not see my email or check your junk mail.

While more details of the day are complied in the report, here is the rank order of the day, from the top to bottom of those who enjoyed every second of the day.

[​IMG]

It was a 5 am start for me and a 12 am finish that day and it never stops, but it was well worth it based on the epic time that was spent with you Club GTIers.

Congratulations to:
    vw_singh who was fastest of the day in his MK1 16vT,
    Luke S who was second in his epic EA888 powered Leon Cupra 280 ( Sub 8),
    And one for the NASP boys thanks to pascal77uk in a 200+bhp 16v Hillclimber Mk1 for coming 3rd in his little weapon.

Stay tuned, Stay optimised :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Finite, 1.8T_mk2, blis and 1 other person like this.
  4. blis Forum Member

Mike, you took a battery operated vehicle a chopped all the mk2's... omg!

Sirguydo and Toyotec like this.
  5. TrackCab16v Forum Member

big shout from liam to the events team organising another great event :thumbup::clap:
    well proud of liam coming 6th on the day . he,s built this car himself and its getting quicker every event, still running no diff and dodgy back calipers , hes looking forward to the next one when his diff will be fitted ;););) , glad you all had a good time , well done to the front runners :thumbup:, cheers paul

Sirguydo, RobT and Toyotec like this.
  6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

A truly first class day as always. I've given my thanks on the Facebook page already but it still needs to said on here again like others have. The guys do a great job and keep on turning out for these events. Staff numbers have dropped so it falls to these guys time and time again to put on this for us all. Cheers:thumbup:

Well my day was one of the best I've had in a long time. I've been attending these days on and off for the last 10 years and made more of a effort to chat to as many people as I could this year and it was one of the best I've had. Thanks to everyone for getting the MK1s together for the shoot at the end. I must say they looked fantastic all lined up together.

My day on track was a interesting one and learned a lot about the slicks. We ran all morning on the road tyres which were shot and de laminating so quite pleased with the time. I would have been on the slicks earlier but had a *******ing from the sound man about slicks. But once he had gone the Pit crew were on it and a swift pit stop was carried out. Tyres, fuelled, suspension adjustments and back out. Sorry for repeatledly holding up the cue lol we might not be the quickest but still better than Red Bull F1 my slicks were all lined up and the crew were on hand.

The Super softs are new tyres to me and need a lot managing to get the best from them. We found with the sudden ambient temperature rise in the afternoon and double driving the car, pressures went through the roof and the compound got too hot and went off. Instead of going quicker thought the afternoon we went slower. These have such a small operating window it was tricky to get them in the correct operating zone. They will work for approx 50-60 seconds then overheat and go off. I also notice they need a very smooth driving style as any ragging of them just increases heat soak and performance degradation. Like F1 tyres they go off the cliff and impossible to get them back. I had a chat with TonyB and he mentioned some drivers pouring cold water on them between runs to drop temps.

All in all a learning curve but that's what this test day is about. I'm sure there is another .6 second to come from it in current spec. Still a good time and only .06 sec off what I did in the VR6 race car back in 2009 in road class. So not bad for newly acquired car. Plenty more to come:thumbup:

Here is a in car vid. First run on slicks and in the 27s

www.vimeo.com/168825363

Enjoy

If anyone has any hi res pics of the mk1 please drop me a message as I'd like to update the build thread. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    HPR, gasco, Toyotec and 1 other person like this.
  7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Can we get the September thread up ASAP as I'd like to book now please.

Toyotec and MUSHY 16V like this.
  8. Toyotec

I enjoyed that video of you going around the track.
    I reckon the few times to rev limit was hit are worth 100th of a sec each.

September thread coming up!

9. Toyotec

Toyotec's report on the Club GTI day part 1.

[​IMG]

It has been 27 years since Club GTI has been attending the Curborough sprint course. The event this May 2016 was a 'wawser' for participation and an eye opener for some of us enthusiasts!
    Everyone well disciplined, enjoying themselves to maximum without incident. Such a relaxed atmosphere and social event with machinery that was just epic fast.

[​IMG]

We had quite a lot going on at this event, from regular favourite vw_singh in his DIY developed MK1 16vT, sneezing its way to fastest place to Sirguydo's non VW 2000 kg 'milk float' Tesla S coming 6th, hooning around the track and providing massive about of entertainment to those that drove in it!
    Duke brought his very uber cool Porsche 993 and was not afraid to give it death, even getting it sideways out of corners!
    New comers Savagesam and dad Steve got truly infected with the speed bug and long-time Club member Paul White was having a good laugh with his Vento TDI.
    Overall Monday 30th of May was pretty much guys and gals having fun in a big field! I spent less time driving my own car, to meet most people there on the day. For me these days are fantastic for meeting the people who make meets like these what they turn out to be. One big social event.

We had 31 drivers and 27 cars turned up on the day. A significant turn out.

While historically, we have favoured a powerful, light weight MK1 GTI for its nimbleness around this track, be aware, the modern hatchback in true 'grocery getter' spec, with all it's girth will soon re-define our idea of fast, comfortable track day fun.

So called purists laugh at the girth of a modern hatchback compared to mosquito like weight of an 80s hot hatch.
    Well, what some of us experienced on Monday, as a passengers of a Seat Cupra 280, with a handy racing driver at the wheel, while sitting in a climate controlled cabin, I think we were having the last laugh. One heck of a very fast car! Maybe the cousin to this car would make a Production Mk7 Golf GTI in a few years?
    This has sparked off some discussion >>here<<

With the results out, you know Gurdip aka vw_singh, was the fastest participant of the day in his home developed MK1 16vT.

[​IMG]

I have followed the development of this car and we are aware from his thread, he spent an incredible surplus of time to develop, research and consult, to enable the evolution of a once 1.3 Golf 1 to be the fire breathing 16vT monster we appreciated today. It has been an intense learning journey that has been rewarding to Gurdip and of course put him in contact with many other enthusiasts as the car becomes faster and faster. We congratulate him on his top place this May.

While we do love our easy to work on MK1, MK2 or MK3 Golfs as well as being also cool to own (well I take that back for a MK3), we all need to get ready for ready for the rise of the modern vehicle. Starting with the MK5 GTI onwards. Somehow I missed the MK4 in that :o

I went out in several modern road vehicles there on that day and despite their so called weight penalty, these vehicles will and do present a real challenge to the older lighter and track focused track car as we know them.
    And the work done to make these cars such a force to reckon bit was from a few suspension upgrades and engine map, to nothing at all!

The Seat Leon Cupra 280 'Sub 8'.

[​IMG]

Luke Schlewitz aka Luke S, was a Golf GTI championship winning racing driver and is part of Jabbasport along with Brian who also attended. Luke took some of the Club GTIers out back in February at Brands Hatch in Rob Sadlers ex PGTI MK5 310 bhp demo.
    He had promised me a pax lap in this new car that first started the Sub 8 club on the full circuit at the Nurburgring, this car along with the Renault Megane Trophy R and Civic Type R, started a trend at the ring, that was recently eclipsed by the Golf GTI Clubsport S.
    His laps from the data I hold were very consistent, the racer in him I guess. For a car that cruised up to the event and cruised to work the following day it was just 300[SUP]th[/SUP] of a sec behind the top time of vw_singh. In my pax lap, I was blown away by the level of grip the stock tyres were generating in the corners and under braking. The standard braking system, aided by ABS would retard the car from any speed allowing the driver to maintain pretty high track speeds confidently. VWs VAQ system was also working pretty well. This Seat Leon car runs a Golf R spec EA888 engine. A remap to 358 bhp and 380lbft on the stock powertrain, meant distance on the track was quickly devoured even when short shifting the DSG at 6000 rpm. Other enhancements were the suspension bushes and engine mounts. I sat in the comfortable seats and can report the extra stiffness applied to the powertrain and suspension did not result in increased NVH. Laps were run without breaking a sweat as the AC was switched on! This is impressive considering the brakes are standard OEM parts bin jobs, the wheels and tyres are standard out of the factory and with all the creature comforts, there was 1300kg of girth being thrown around. You could run this car hard on track and then just drive to work the next day with no issues. No prep to messing around with tools. In fact it was just recently drove to Zolder.
    Makes you want to give up modifying old cars.
    However there is a price to pay for all this hatch back goodness. Prices start at 32k.
    Still a mightily impressive vehicle and we thank Luke and Jabbasport for bringing it to the event.

[​IMG]

Very enlightening experience.

Back to the old skool was pascal77uk.

[​IMG]

His well prepped hillclimb MK1 Golf with over 200 bhp from its 16v ITB motor, was going pretty strong with used track tyres that we believe were well shot. It did not stop him from taking 3rd spot and we know this car has got more in it to content with the big league. Who says you need a turbo for the top ten eh?
    This car was shared with racing driver Lloyd Allard who as a separate driver was able to secure 4th place despite still getting use to the petrol engines ability to rev to 8000 rpm!

[​IMG]

We should state here Lloyd is use to racing diesels. On his first outing he was heard telling Mike, it has got no power when you press the throttle. Then Mike asked where are you shifting? Lloyd said at 5 k. It was the diesel racer in him. After correcting his shift points to 7500 rpm he was flying! Many thanks for attending Lloyd.

It just another estate or is it?

[​IMG]

Also impressive was Karl Aspen's A4 3.0 V6 TDI Estate, Karl has been attending the event even since we invited Audi sport.net a few years ago. Weight? Yup it is a very heavy car at 1800 kg on Robs scales last year, even breaking it! However that girth is compensated by some enhancements to the 3.0V6 TDI motor up near the nose of the car. Try 380bhp and de tuned to 750Nm, saving the gearbox! The way Karl threw that wagon around sometimes a bit sideways, as the Federal RSR tyres gripped and then squealed for mercy was unbelievable for such a large vehicle. Inside, the gauges for exhaust back pressure, EGT and boost monitor the health of the engine. At peak boost I saw 30psi at 3000 rpm which starts dropping off near 4000 rpm but Karl shifts up and the surge starts again. Each gear felt the same to me as the car howled and lurched forward. It might weigh a hefty 1800kg, but that does not keep it back and surely was faster than most old track prepped vehicles. Another car that could run a lap in full AC comfort.

Liam Halsem and his Golf 1 coming all the way from Wales.

[​IMG]

Do we have a theme going on at the top with old, followed by modern, then old then modern...then old...?

To me this young lad was the most improved driver. Paul (trackcab16v) 'revit' has passed on the engine skills to his son and Liam has been refining his dad's craft not only on his kjet screamer, but also on his suspension. He was running BC racing suspension on Monday and on new Toyo R888R rubber.

[​IMG]

He went almost a second quicker from his last outing. One to watch the next time!

While historically, this Club meet tends to favour largely VW vehicles, this has been expanded to VW and associated brands as well as allowing owners of other brands at our discretion. It also helps if the participant owns a VW/Audi. So what about this 'milk float' the Tesla S?

[​IMG]

The Tesla S (70D) of Sirguydo was another impressive machine. It can change your perspective of electric cars forever.
    2000 kg of girth felt like a GTI on track. However this weight is offset by maximum torque of 387lbft from 1rpm! Faster than most GTIs on the day and silent. Very little motor noise in the flat floor cabin. Like the rest of the modern cars, Mike and his passengers were in a climate controlled atmosphere. It did use some energy on a lap though, up to 1600 W per lap! A big 5 series type car, with no work to be done pre and post, driven by a bloke who was just having a laugh at the event. Just keep it charged, turn up have a giggle and social. Astonishing! I went out in it and can describe it in one word only - "Electric".

Imagine using those motors in an older GTI for a conversion? The future is interesting I would say :thumbup:

Back to our classics and some more pictures from those who participated and I had a change to speak to.

Paul White has been coming to these events for a very long time. While his Vento TDI is not the fastest on this track, he attends this event without fail. As he does for GTI international!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beetie and Costa in their MK5 platformed TFSI cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gasco in his 1.9 8v Mk1

[​IMG]

Mark Shorten

[​IMG]
    Pic from Vic.

and his other toy parked at the top.

[​IMG]

I will continue with more in the next post.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    1.8T_mk2, pascal77uk, Finite and 6 others like this.
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec's report on the Club GTI day part 2.

We continue to report on the day recommencing with Nathan's Oak Green Mk2

Nut20v came with his GT30'd Oak green 20vT

[​IMG]

This car looks so innocent, but infact it is not a 16v. In fact it is a built 1.8T with a GT30 turbo, measured at 500bhp!

Tom24 in his Cabby 2.0 16v ABF.

[​IMG]

Unique weight saving on one the boot!

Mk1JettaGTI or Noel of Deutscheparts was there supporting the Club in his Rally prepped MK3 16v.
    Every time I went around and asked him how is it, his smile said all lol

[​IMG]

JoJo, a mod over on AudiSport.net now is a regular to the event. We even made him dust off this MK2 last year so he could attend.

[​IMG]
    Pic stolen from Joe's FB wall

The Wadey bunch of dad Steve (slimwadey) and son Sam ( savagesam) were newbies to this. I think we have them hooked lol.

[​IMG]

Rooster and his MK2 16v KR head and ABF bottom end. And he was teaching his little son the moves.

[​IMG]

Finite and his stock 8v.

[​IMG]

He is well organised. The only participant to be meticulous to type out his entry form.

Good to see taks back at the event in his MK3 VR6. Always a good laugh to be around.

[​IMG]

Our IT man was out giving his daily 3.2 24v 8P Audi a grilling. Aminder.

[​IMG]

Paul16v.

[​IMG]

Being pushed along in the queue by a keen Jerome

And having massive fun on track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Michael for arranging the 6 MK1s to the bottom of the pits for those pictures by Aminder.

[​IMG]

Not often you see this at a track day.

Many thanks to Trevor for sitting in the hut for the entire day running the timing gear and Ian and his family as the track marshals.

Victoria, thanks for popping in.

[​IMG][/URL]

Thanks to so many of you who participated on the day and to those I got to talk to face to face.
    Nishaan, thanks for coming down. Your help was really appreciated.

Duke, that Porsche 993 or your is absolutely stunning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And you are NOT afraid to use it in full anger. What a guy!

We are sorry to hear about Prawn's failed engine just 4 days before the event but we know he was rebuilding that day to come back even stronger than ever.

We were told DN20 with the TTRS had a bout with the flu.

Also AjVR managed to catch a low oil pressure issue in his MK5 GTI. It was still drove and he managed to get it off the site and was taken home via recovery.

Future news.

In other good news I have confirmed with the course secretary of the track, Club GTI are able publish a top ten list from data gathered over the years.
    This is not a list that will have any published times as they remain only for participants use, but simply a list of the fastest cars ever seen here at Club GTI up to the years we have continuous data.
    I have been looking for a compromise ever since this thread and it is the best I can do for now. Look out for that list in the future.

If you want to have a crack at the top ten of all time, then the next event is August 29[SUP]th[/SUP]!

See you at the next one!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Yoof, 1.8T_mk2, gasco and 9 others like this.
  11. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Meticulous with terrible handwriting [:$] lol

12. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Great write up Ed, Enjoyed ready it cheers

13. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the great write up Ed, I took a few photo's and there is an in car video from mine of one of the slower laps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when I went home on the Monday swapped the wheels on the car and put the rear seats back in to get down to Barmouth with the caravan on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Toyotec likes this.
  14. Tom24 New Member

Thanks to all the organisers for another thoroughly enjoyable day. How do you manage to arrange such great weather every time!

Ive finally started to appreciate the importance of tyre pressures. Checking and adjusting them between runs yielded a new PB in the afternoon.

I also got to use my shift light in anger for the first time since receiving it as a Christmas present. It made a big difference, I found it difficult before to judge when I was about to run out of revs on the track and tended to shift too early. The shift light really made me hold the gears to make use of the high end ABF power.

My girlfriend Claire got a few photos.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0756.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0972.jpg

DSC_0976.jpg

DSC_0997.jpg

gasco, Desertstorm and Toyotec like this.
  15. Toyotec

Thanks for those Paul and Claire.
    Very good pictures by the way.

I have used one picture of Karl's uber diesel in our Facebook group.

Weather, we were pretty lucky!

Let us hope it is similar for the 29th of August.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  16. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Admin

Finally got around to sorting these images out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]