G60 strip down. Found some damage - Any experts?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Ben_s, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Ben_s Forum Member

So I took my g60 apart earlier. I wanted to check the condition before it goes back on the car (eventually!)
    [​IMG]
    Over all, I was happy to see no cracks or structural damage to the scroll walls on either of the casings, the displacer was all in one piece too. All the apex strips were still in place.

When I bought the car, I was told that the charger was a JMR S5 spec. There was an invoice in the paperwork and the casings are stamped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Other than suggesting that is been to see JMR at some point in its life in unsure of what the S5 actually means!

Porting to the outlet half is obvious
    [​IMG]
    And internally there is more porting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More here to promote airflow to one of the bearing I believe?
    [​IMG]

So all that looks good! Internally it was relatively clean with only a small amount of oil sludge in there, however there seems to be some issues with the displacer. Despite being in one piece, it looks as though something has been sucked through the charger at some point
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From the above pics, you can see gouging to the scroll. That looks to have been a while ago as most of the marks are dirty with old oil so they don't appear to be recent.

More concerning for me is the wear in the bottom corner. This to me looks fresh and there are corresponding marks on both halves of the casing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So it looks like the displacer has been making contact with the casing.

Presumably this means play in one or more of the bearings. Given the gouging etc, it's it worth rebuilding? A new displacer isn't really an option given the cost. It would be cheaper to fit a BDE engine which is what I'm hankering after currently.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk