Garage security

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by jmsheahan, Mar 3, 2011.

1. hooblah Forum Member

ive managed without any locks on the door so far but when im working outside the garage door is open for all to see inside, and its not ideal having to keep opening and closing the door everytime i need something. and with the growing amount of tools and bits inside its a bit worrying as its so easy to open in the first place.

for peace of mind i'll probably be welding in some angle iron along the bottom and both sides as well as getting a garage/bulldog lock. i seriously doubt anyone will even try to break in due to the amount of effort it would take to get in, not to mention the noise ;)

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

when i used to have my garage open i had a huge flag on a long curtain rail which i could pull across blocking out any tools to someone passing by.

3. Funky Diver Forum Member

I went with this kinda thing...

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Enfield_Garage_Door_Lock_Pair_KA_D613_KA_P.html

They're pretty good in all honesty, mine's an up and over door... and they make it VERY difficult to get any kind of purchase on getting the door open.

Anything with a padlock makes it easy to get at.. all hte fittings for these are behind the door, so inaccessible to break. They'd literally have to destroy the door to get in.

My rent is a mere 7 a week, and it's not in the most salubrious of areas... but then again, it's just for storing parts in at the moment. Once the cars rebuilt, I'm hoping to have got the garage built at the end of my garden [:D]

4. hooblah Forum Member

ive been considering those as well instead of a door defender. ive read that some of the door defenders can be bent out of the way, so those door bolts look to be the best option and theyre not obvious either.

5. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Interesting thread as I am moving house soon and one of the main criteria is a garage for the new gaf... much to the missus' delight!!

I don't mean to be a thread thief here at all, but does anyone knows how much floor paint is needed to cover an average single car garage? [:$]

Also the Enfield door locks as above, do they just attach to the inside of the door? I'm thinking of alternatives to the exterior door gaurds to take out having to lock the door from the outside?...

And the bar along the bottom of the door is clearly a good adea.:thumbup:

6. Admin Guest

a 5l tin will do the floor, but tbh the covering may not be that tough/long lasting

7. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

double the amount of paint you think you'll need.

If you got any left over, simply give it another coat - you can't have too much paint on the floor of a garage IMO.

Maybe think about fitting an alarm to the garage?

8. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Alarm's a good idea. presumebly you would only need a fairly simple system to cover the main door and windows/back door? One of the contact pad types rather than a motion sensor (I don't know much about alarms!)