Gear box needed 020 2y or advice please

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Scott Griffin, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Scott Griffin New Member

Hi all
    I have a mk1 caddy that I have recently purchased and it used to have the knocking noise in reverse but now it has a hole in the bottom of the box and I have lost all oil I really need some advice on what box would be a correct fit or if someone has something suitable for sale

I am running a 16v lump from a mk2 golf gti and the gearbox is a 020 2y

Hopefully someone can give me some advice as I am struggling to find a box to get my caddy back on the road

Many thanks

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

The 2y has a bigger main shaft than most 020's. Any 020 will go in, pretty much. If you fit a non 2Y you need to replace the friction disc. Next up check wheteher
    the box you buy has 90 or 100mm drive flanges.
    If they are too small, swap them out from your box
    Ref BrokeVW site for 020 info
    Jon

3. Scott Griffin New Member

But won't the ratio be out if I fit the wrong box
    I will have a look at the broke vw see if I can get any info appreciate the quick reply
    At least that gives me some hope as finding a decent 2y box seems impossible

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Pretty much all 020's will run with all engines. The diesel ones tend to keep the revs too low. The non gti ones tend to have bigger gaps between gears.
    It depends on what you use the car for really.
    I keep a few spare 020's for my own use, and I'm sure others on this site may be able to help you
    Rarest 5 speeders are the FM/FD early GTI mk1 ones (.91 fifth, with 3.89) , probably the 2Y next (mk2 16V) (.91 fifth 3.64)
    They are all now officially 'old' so keep sensible expectations regarding condition. A rebuild with gaskets and a bearing kit is a sensible investment
    Jon

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

4T out of mk2 8v on ebay at £135, change the clutch friction plate.
    Extra flange / fitting on the mk2 the front starter/engine mount , but it should go into a mk1 (I think..)
    Hotgolf is the clubgti god of gearboxes (gas n gears)
    Jon

6. Scott Griffin New Member

Ok thanks Jon guess I got my work cut out for me then I appreciate the advice I just got to find one I would get mine rebuilt but it now has a hole in the bottom of it. I guess if I am lucky someone on here might have something for sale suitable thanks again will keep looking caddy is looking sad in the garage

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

plenty of codes will suit if you're happy with the 2Y box it has now, 9a, acd, aug etc MK1/2 8v gti box similar but you'll need a new 8v clutch to fit one as previously mentioned.

if your clutch is good you could hunt out a mk3 2.0 8v box those will swap right over though the ratios are all a bit taller so it'll blunt your acceleration a bit, though it means top end is a bit better on the motorway and mpg in all gears slightly better

have a word with hotgolf/martin emment/gas n gears. it so happens I gave him my old 2Y box a while back so if he still has it, he could split and freshen up for you with new diff bolt kit etc ;)

8. holdawayt Forum Member

I read something in the old Haynes Mk2 Golf tuning guide about the pin in the diff wearing a hole in the gearbox casing.
    Fitting an LSD removes the risk of this happening but if there's already a hole it's too late. You can check for this by listening for a slight tick when the car rolls forwards.

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

LOL It happens I have a newly rebuilt spare 020, code FM box with a new quaiffe in under the bench, but its probably overkill
    for what Scott needs....

10. Scott Griffin New Member

Hi thanks for all the great advice so far Jon I don't even know what a quaiffe is am not too sure how much u would want for that box if u did want to sell it
    And I was turning round when the gearbox jammed and pushed a hole in the side good job I was not on the motorway
    Maybe gas and gears Still has the 2y box I could buy that if it was for sale

11. Scott Griffin New Member

Hi all I have been offered a DFQ gearbox from a mk3 golf 2.0 8v so will this be a direct fit I don't mind a taller 5th gear as I did find the 2y gearbox screams a bit down the motorway at higher speeds

12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

excellent, get it bought and fitted, half a days work. if it were me I would check the clutch friction plate while its in bits
    Jon

13. Scott Griffin New Member

Ok perfect yes all will be checked once in bits. It seems to be the way with the caddy I do one job and find 10 more while I am in there
    I appreciate all the help I will update you all on the progress will get it ordered now

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

old cars, that'll be. two careful owners my mate used to say, NODA taxis and Hertz. LOL. once you have been through everything properly you will have a good reliable motor, hopefully
    Jon

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

One of our customers mentioned a while back he bought a car with one previous owner from a Ford delership, turned out that was a retal car!. Pretty poor show from the dealership..