Golf mk1 cab 1993 2h engine to mk3 aba/agg

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Damir, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Damir New Member

Ok, engine start and sounds fine. I just need to adjust timing. When i doo that, the water connector off, and 6 degress on timing. Is it right.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep for ignition timing get the engine started and fully warmed up then disconnect the ecu temp sensor, hold the engine at around 2.25k rpm and adjust the timing. factory is 6 degrees BTDC, i.e. diamond/arrow mark lined up but usually you can add a little more to around say 8 degrees for starters and see how you go from there.

top tip if you're on your own and your timing light has no advance dial, get yourself a stack of card, credit cards, thick paper etc. gradually add stuff between the throttle lever and stop till the required rpm is achieved, then set the timing :)

Just be ready to pull out the stuff wedged in the stop, if the timing is quite far off before you start the revs can suddenly shoot right up when corrected!

3. Damir New Member

Ok is it blue or Black connector.
    I have a 276 cam in it. Should 8 degress be fine. I have a advance dial og the timing gun. Ok yes i see, stack og cards. To take rpm to 2.2.

4. rubjonny

its the blue one for the ecu temp sensor, black is for the dashboard :)

if you have an advance gun you can set it to the required figure and use the TDC mark on either the flywheel or crank pulley which is handy :thumbup:

5. Damir New Member

Timing is adjusted and idle up to 940 rpm.
    Sounds nice, and i took it for a ride, puls Navi but didnt goes a Full throttle yet. Can feel a difference. A just waiting for Oil catch tank to set crank and rocker cover breather in it.

And i last problem is, i cant find who Can take it on the dyno and make new eeprom chip for it.

6. Damir New Member

Is it worth of thinking changing the ecu to another ecu management sytem, like mega squirt or others.

7. rubjonny

8. Damir New Member

Rubjohnny: Fitting more modern engine, You thinking on what engine?
    Its difficult to fint a abf engine her i Denmark or kr engine. I can't find somebody who can make a new eeprom chip for it..
    I heard from one i know, that in old days, people changes value on the oxygen sensor, by putting a resistance on signal output to ecu from oxygen sensor. with a full throttle the value need to be about a 94-95, has to be a little richer when full pedal.

9. rubjonny

depends really, whats available and what kind of performance you are looking for at the end of the day. The 8v engines are tunable, but usually have to spend a lot to get figures near what the equivalant base 16v woudl get you. whether thats actually a good investment depends how expensive the equivalent 16v engines are to buy!

for example here if say you wanted to tune a 2.0 8v to get around 140torques/150bhp, it will cost way more than buying a 2.0 16v which will start around there before you even think about tuning it. however, in your country it may start to make a lot more sense to stick with the 2.0 8v, if the 16v engines are very expensive.

you could look at crossflow heads for your engines if those are more available, or other options such as 2.0 16v conversion kits which are available, import a head and block, or go for something even newer from MK4 platform.

10. Damir New Member

Its difficult to fint 16v engine end If you cab se, cant find anybody to tune A digifant eeprom to it. So it not easy. I have a friend, He used a megesquirt on his e30 BMW. And i talked to him, and He said that the mini megesquirt Can be used to. Kep the oem ecu and put mini megesquirt on to a manage the fuel only.

11. rubjonny

Then I would say it would make sense to go megasquirt and tune what you have. You can keep the ecu if a nice engine comes your way so its a good investment :)