Golf MK1 choke issues when it's a warm day

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Volks42, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Volks42 Forum Member

So weird issues. My golf has a pierburg 1B carb on it with the autochoke. It always had issues starting on a hot or cold day, if I didn't set the choke it'd idle really low or just die. Once warmed up it's okay.

I figured maybe the ftarb was bad, so I removed it and rebuilt the carb and fitted new gaskets, jets, needles etc. After refitting and setting idle speeds and fuel mixture, she still won't stay running unless I set the autochoke, even on a lovely warm day!

Is this "normal" or do I need to increase the idle speeds bypass screw? What else could cause these problems with it idling from "cold" on an otherwise lovely warm day?

2. Megaross Forum Member

Even on a hot day your car will require some degree of choke until the engine is hot to create the right mixture.

I've never owned a carburetted car that required zero choke to start (well) even in 30+ degree temps.

3. Volks42 Forum Member

Ah okay! Just showing my inexperience with choked engines! Thanks for the reply!

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

does sound normal...does it run well between first start and hot? no stalling or chugging /smoking?

5. Volks42 Forum Member

It runs a little bit lumpy and has some white smoke, but I don't think it's the head gasket as it stops once warmed up.

Drives lovely once warm, but I have noticed if I stop after a half hour drive, then try to start the car again half an hour later, while still warm it will struggle to start unless I give it loads of pedal and petrol into the carb. Yet to work out why, but it feels like it's starved of petrol when warm and trying to start again.