golf mk1 vs golf mk1 cabrio

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Simon86, Aug 5, 2009.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

That's cool, for 200 quid in good nick it's hard to really pass it up. Suppose it would be fairly straight forward to swap in something like a 1.8/2.0 hyrbrid Mk2/Mk3 digi lump aswell somewhere down the line.

2. Admin Guest

why would you swap to one of those engines? little to no gain from doing so.

3. paul_c Forum Member

No merit in converting K-Jet to Digifant but you can convert the 1.8 to 2.0 litre and its a reasonable budget upgrade for 8V engines, just use the 1.8 head too because its better. FAQ will have all the info you need on it, there's not that much to worry about on it.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

paul haslams cab proves that they can do well on track & still be a daily though it does have a few mods to it.

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

That's pretty much it, the 1.8 yeah on the 2.0 as you said. I know a bit more about Digi as opposed to K-Jet aswell so it's more of a personal preference thing. Not really after a power benefit like I would be on a tin top.

6. Mario_Marques New Member

This is a very, very old topic but I do have some data that might be interesting for people looking for answers, I actually find this topic on Google when I was looking for that.

Well, I own a 91 1.8 rivage digifant 2 98ps, full extras, heavy for a mk1 cabriolet and had factory forged 15", I did some tune up and some tests that I Will Share.

Stock 0 to 100

[​IMG]

Engine stock+chip+k&n+cat back exhaust+big brake kit(big brake kit killed all gains, I have no data to show but I have measured before and after, big brakes kill more than 1,2 seconds).

[​IMG]

Same as before, ignition tuned, eix type spark plugs, tuned+repaired AFM+velocity funnel for the afm, perfected driving, tyre pressure, alignment, intake manifold heat shield.

[​IMG]

One thing, there is a big difference speedometer vs reality at least on my car, speedometer is "generous"

This might not look fast but its Faster and quicker than a stock GTI and does not have big s investment, its a Nice car, very reliable, I had also a turboed G60 on this and it was too much, dont go crazy on power on this Cars if you do like driving and not planning on doing extensive chassis and suspension works, and I mean this both for tin top and cabriolet.

Also important to mention, the car made the tests with the original crap exhaust manifold and Kat, so there is more to extract, but I Will not do it, I have a mild tuned 2.0 8v ready to install, and hope this Will get me the low end power I need to make this more crisp.

My engine, 2H is very similar to MK2 GTI PF and PB, it shares almost everything, but has a way inferior exhaust manifold and the air box is way smaller and restricted.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021