Golf mk2 1.6 driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by IgorCRO, Nov 23, 2019.

1. IgorCRO New Member

After longer time we started with working on my car.
    Firs step was engine out from donor car
    [​IMG]
    After that i was collect some additional parts mk3 fuel tank and found the eibach antirool bars.
    Realy dirt fuel tank[​IMG]
    Cleaned
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Engine block was cleaned from oil, dirt and rust and repainted in matt black color
    [​IMG]
    Engine is ready to sit in mk2

[​IMG]
    Engine out from my mk2

[​IMG]

After all engine is finaly complete with gearbox and puted in the car

[​IMG]

It is almost all completed only have few things to do. the airbox doesnt fix like john say before and from mk2 digifant is very rare to find here i croatia. do aynone can confirm me that i can fit airbox from mk 3 2.0 8v gti 2E same code as passat and my engine.

erreesse likes this.
  2. IgorCRO New Member

Also i use passat wiring for fuel pump
    there is plug with 4 cables on pump and go by driver side forward
    [​IMG]

after that there is more cables on same line
    [​IMG]

Not sure what is best solution to do here???

erreesse likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats ignition live feed for various extras the passat has, just cut it off the mk2 doesnt need it

4. IgorCRO New Member

ok i cut that yellow black only keep this four wires. where they need to be connected? (two of them is for gauge level can i connect them to wires i already have for fuel level gauge. and two other is ground and + ( they going to fusebox?)
    also i have this two connections from engine loom to cabin but dont have idea where they need to be connected?
    [​IMG]
    blue have brown/black and brown have grey/brown?
    i keep my tacho original from mk2 with revs . what need to do there t get revs working?
    rubjonny thank you so much for all answers and sorry for so many questions ( this is my first swap):)[:D] not the last one:thumbup:

erreesse likes this.
  5. rubjonny

all you need is the 4 wires from the main pump to the fusebox plug M, everything else can go. then unplug the old mk2 golf M plug and fit the passat one :)

sometimes one of the pump wires goes to plug K/11, in this case depin the wire and swap it over to M/6 then you're sorted:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/#post-1945617

If you're struggling to get the pin out since the passat loom is going in the bin anyway you can carefully chop the K plug with a sharp knife till you can get the pin out

erreesse likes this.
  6. IgorCRO New Member

great stuff ok will do like that keep 4 wires and plug them in M position of the fusebox and other cables i will cut off.
    now is only questions is these to plugs from post earlier blue and brown and revs on tacho to make them work.

7. rubjonny

for tach adaptor you can run a wire from G1/12 to the negative terminal under the flap on the side of the passat coil, currently g1/12 will run from the ecu. you could fit a tach adaptor same as the 20v guys do, or you can convert back to the 1.6 coil and spark module, details in here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/ce1-abf-splicing-of-looms-help.249714/

those 2 plugs I'm not sure, but you probably dont need to worry about them. usually any fly leads seperate from the main loom are not needed for the engien to run the important stuff goes straight to the fusebox. they may be connections for the passat cluster, alarm, brake pad warning things like that. the one wire you need to find though is the diagnostics connection which is usually a grey/whiute wire with brown plug and this one comes from ECU pin 43

erreesse and IgorCRO like this.
  8. rubjonny

usually its best to strip the tape off the engine loom anyway as it'll likely need a bit of tweaking to fit the engine bay properly. if you do that you can also chase these unknown wires back to source at the same time. your call :)

9. IgorCRO New Member

great informations :) i use all passat engine wiring and sort them up . after that i connect all to the fusebox in golf same as was connected in passat . also i use all relays and put them in golf fusebox. ok for diagnostic runing i need to find that cable from ecu and use obd connector with wiring from passat?

10. rubjonny

yep, yep, yep and yep. the port will be tapped into the ciggarette lighter wiring in the passat dash harness,. carefully undape and strip it out. snip the live and earth where they're spliced in then you can tap them back into the mk2 ciggy lighter wiring. at the fusebox should be a diagnostics jumper block where the port wires run to.

if the passat is post-96 then you'll have an immobiliser, follow the reader coil from the ignition lock to the box and pull that out along with all the wiring from it. you'll have a wire from the ecu to the box, and a wire from the box to the diagnostics jumper.

IgorCRO likes this.
  11. IgorCRO New Member

ok great it is all easier now. ok from what I understand first need to find grey/white cable with brown connector from ecu pin 43 follow that cable and where that cable is need to be connected?
    passat is 1994 no immobiliser .

12. rubjonny

ok perfect so you just need to figure out where the diagnostics wire is and join it to the vagcom port wiring once you get that./ its possible the brown 2 pin plug is the diagnostics though usually the wire is grey/white not grey/brown

13. IgorCRO New Member

great. i have another question . at front i have now arb eibach 22mm my stabilisator link is 16mm diameter stock mk2. which one i need to buy to set up that ???
    also i find this airbox on marketplace and maf connector seems same like mine only i dont see other sensor(airtemp?) .
    passat airbox

[​IMG]

golfmk2 digi
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    erreesse likes this.
  14. rubjonny

you keep the stock drop links but need to change the bush for eibach sutable one, same goes for the inner bushes. you can still get eibach bush kits or source them aftermarket. just have to shop around.

yes you will need a mk2 digifant airbox, swap the passat AFM over. not sure about that extra sensor though, looks like a g60 co pot? possible the passat management needs it, any part numbers on the side? looks like it just pushes into a hole on the airbox so easy enough to swap it over if need be

erreesse likes this.
  15. IgorCRO New Member

i think when i take catalogue number and googl for it is says intake air temps sensor . i will take a look again .

16. rubjonny

just had a look, seems to be 037906040C which is a CO pot as I thought. So need to switch that over to the MK2 airbox :)

IgorCRO and erreesse like this.
  17. IgorCRO New Member

Ok will do like that. Tommorow i expect first run. Cant wait

18. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Why are the drivers seem to be in better condition than gti?

IgorCRO likes this.
  19. IgorCRO New Member

maybe drivers have low power engines and smaller chance to be crashed :) here in croatia 95% of golf mk2 are diesels. few drivers and few gti-s . very hard to find parts from GTI.

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  20. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Yes it's possible