Golf MK2 OEM+ Headlights

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by NateS2, Oct 31, 2020.

1. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

As I'm sure you're all aware, MK2's aren't known for their stellar headlight performance, especially after 30 years of contact degradation. I could just fit one of the ubiquitous "headlight upgrade/relay looms" but I want to keep the installation looking as OEM as possible, so that's off the cards. My headlight loom has also fallen victim of the dim-dip resistor at some point and most of the wires have fused together into one big mess.
    So I'm redoing the loom anyway so I might as well upgrade it and add some modern "features": :lol:
    • Daylight Running lights
    • Light left on warning buzzer
    • Coming home lights
    • Relays
    • Leaving home lights (possibly)
    DRL
    I'm going to repurpose the dim-dip resistor to power either the high beam H4's or inner spots at a reduced power. (Big thanks to @dodgy for sending me his non-exploded resistor) They will be configured to switch on with the ignition but switch off with the parking lights, to pass an MOT. I could use a US BMW DRL relay but I don't fancy the £40 to import one.

Lights Left on
    This is an easy one, just adding a number 36 relay buzzer into the fuse panel

Coming home lights
    This will make use of a Skoda 456 relay. To enable the lights you have to have been driving with your lights on. When you turn off the engine you just flash the main beam. Once you open the door you've got around 30 seconds of light and if you leave the door open this increases to about 2 mins 30. Need to check how this will work with the MK2 main beam stalk as it's latching

Relays and loom
    In addition to the above, there will be 3 relays to supply the power to the lights: Low, High and Spots. These will be mounted above the fuse panel using factory relay holders. I'm aiming for < 0.5 volts drop at the bulbs, and I'll be making use of modern thin wall cable which should let me go up at least 1 size in conductor without making the loom larger

I'll update with pictures and diagrams later :)

dodgy likes this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

No worries, glad I can help.
    So is the lights on buzzer just adding a 36 relay in a socket?
    Also do you have part number for that bmw relay?

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I thought there was a bit more to it than just a relay? For the lights on buzzer? It's something I miss in my mk2.

4. dodgy

Think I read needed another one or two connections? I'll look later, think theres a guide.

5. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Off topic my 8valve came with crystal headlights. Failed mot as beam kicking up to right.
    Purchased brand new hellas from eurocarparts and cleaned the milkiness from inner spots wow what a difference.
    I drive in unlit roads in Cheshire countryside and its better than my modern caddy on high beam

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes for the 36 relay to work you need to add wires round the back, left sidelight K/3 to L/4, right K/2 to L/3, interior lighting door switch to L/2 and pin su from ignition switch 'key-in-ignition' feed to H1/7. if your car doesnt have the SU feed its a nice upgrade as you can use it for your radio as well as per factory run out spec mk2 and also mk3 golf. an easy way to kill both birds is strip ignition loom out of a mk3 golf as well as the dash radio wiring

one thing you'll find if you have a time delay interior light the buzzer will remain active while the light is on after you shut door, the mk3 golf has 2 internal switches in the door pin switch which stops this from happening. You can use a B4 passat door pin switch instead ;)

g3 lights on warning relay.jpg

NateS2 likes this.
  7. dodgy

Thank you for all the info Jon, your knowledge is astounding.

8. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

"Some say his actual birth certificate is a VW production sticker and regardless of where in the world you put him he will automatically face towards Wolfsburg"
    All we know is, he's called "rubjonny" and we'd be lost without him.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Farmerchris, oldnick and Savagesam like this.
  9. davidut5 Forum Member

Wonder what it needs to buzz only when driver door is oppened!

10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

hahah, I liked that!

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cheers guys :lol:

for it to only buzz driver door open you would need to change the driver side door pin switch for B4 passat or similar as I mentioned earlier, then the buzzer will have an independent door pin switch which only works off the driver door :)

davidut5 likes this.
  12. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

"Some say that if you remove his socks and shoes you will see the VW logo tattooed on the soles of both of his feet and at the very mention of his name, VAG parts advisors will spontaneously combust"
    All we know is, he's called "rubjonny" and he's a legend.

Savagesam likes this.
  13. NateS2

I collected me 65 meters of correctly colour wire yesterday, just waiting for a selection of Pin and then I'm ready to start making the loom.
    @dodgy The BMW relay is: 61358368039 If for Canadian cars but I should a UK dealer would be able to get it if you asked!

And yes I've gone with brand-new Hella's, £33 each I think and they look excellent! +thanks rubjohnny I'll get a switch and connector ordered too! :)

dodgy likes this.
  14. dodgy

Thanks for the part number for relay, I'll see if can find one. I got a drl kit from china for the polo, fits in indicator and turns off drl as indicate, it got over problem of broken bulb retaining bit too on my headlight.

15. NateS2

Ahh I see, its actually a PWM module runs an output at approx. 60%, basically instead of the resistor

16. dodgy

Double pole door switch from Passat arrived.

Attached Files:

NateS2 likes this.
  17. davidut5 Forum Member

What about the rubber boot and plug plus pins? I will get one from the breakers.

18. dodgy

Haven't looked for boot, it's in my 'to do' box, will look for plug etc when get to a breakers, but looks like small spades will fit.

19. NateS2

Got mine too, Febi one off eBay. The boots are NLA and I got the plug from new Mecatechnic, was a couple of euros. Going to look at pins tonight, I'll add the TE part codes when I find them!
    Tried it on my car and I have now a door assist spring, it is quite a bit longer than the standard one

Update on my project: Been in contact with TE a lot, who are hands down the most helpful large company I have ever dealt with, genuinely impressive! Especially considering I'm just a bloke spending a couple of pence on ancient terminals that is in no way going to make them money they have still spent a huge amount of time on e-mail and live chat to help me out! :thumbup:

Currently just waiting for some last bits to come in and a eBay special hydraulic crimper to do the 4 AWG phosphor bronze crimps I'm going to use for the earths

20. dodgy

Boot is same as A3 apparently, suppose 8l earlier type, or a4b5, know of a couple of them, think probably used on quite a few vag things of that age?
    A link to the plug would be good pal.