golf mk2 small bumpers and plus axles

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by ivanro_jo, Nov 18, 2020.

1. ivanro_jo Forum Member

hi all
    i am thinking on mounting axles rear and front on my golf mk2 with small bumpers, i am using ronal wheels .

someone of you are using this set up? do you have pictures?

i think this opne use it[​IMG]

it i will worth the effort? i have read will be faster on corners.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I think something is lost in translation Ivan, can you explain what you mean?

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Widetrack on mk2 I presume?

4. Tristan

I was wondering the same.
    If so, by using Corrado vr6 type wishbones and hubs, yes Ivan it does handle better, not just from the extra width but it improves other suspension angles like castor and roll centre.
    You need different driveshafts.

5. ivanro_jo Forum Member

hi sorry yes widetrack, i am wonder if change my bass chassis, mk2 wishbones and hubs from mk3 ones, i have read is arround 5 cm wider on front and arround 1 on back, and gain distance between front and back wheels, pn the other hand i would like to do it with 4x100 wheels.

6. ivanro_jo Forum Member

on the other hand, i have found on the forum:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...-golf-definitive-wide-tracking-thread.220814/
    thanks clubgti for all this info.

One of the reason why i want to make the swap is because my car have a castor angle of 0 degrees, and i have not been able to solved on those years, with widetrack from mk3 5 stud i know castor angle is improved but with mk3 4 stud one? someone knows?

thanksss

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  7. Tristan

You can press out the 5 stud centre stubs from mk3 hubs, and fit mk2 ones.

8. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Great thanks! on the other hand on front widetrack is 2.5 mm wider each side but on rear is wider too?

9. dodgy

Mk3 4 stud(non gti) wishbone, anti roll bar and driveshafts on front, slightly wider than mk2

10. ivanro_jo Forum Member

thanks! and rear mk3 5 stud?

11. dodgy

Mk2 gti set up on rear, keeping 4 stud then.

12. Tristan

If your rear axle is good, with the integrated anti roll bar, just fit axle spacers. Either by machining down stubs from rear drums, or buying Lupo brackets, 6E0501466A and 6E0501466A. Obviously longer bolts will be required

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4 stud widetrack doesnt change the geometry other than track width, so not as much benefit over going full 5 stud.

you cant just press 4 stud hubs to 5 stud bearing carrierts, you also need to re-drill 5 stud discs ad the 4 stud ones wont fit. the other thing to worry about if you go this route is the caliper carrier is closer to the wheel which means your chosen 4 stud wheels will no longer fit without spacers which you have less room for with it now being wider.

at the back no need to change the beam, and not all mk3 beams are actually widfer anyway. get spacers for the wheels or to fit behind the stub axles to get you the same result. though if your beam is in bad shape by all means get a mk3 one to refurb and fit, just measure the width first to see if its actually any wider and if not can space the stubs same time. also note mk2 brake bias valves dont fit the mk3 beam so make sure you have all the matchign mk3 parts for that also