Gone off fuel

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by valvemiester, May 2, 2019.

1. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi after some advice please guys my G reg 8v PB mk2 gti has been stood for many months it used to start then tried it one day and turned over but wouldn't fire neither fuel.pump would run, so checked that I have 12v at both fuel pump plug connectors which I do, I have whipped the lift pump out and the fuel smells more like varnish and the float arm has a coating of black looking gunk on it. So I am after some advice as what to do next is it worth cleaning both pumps cleaning the tank out and flushing all lines through or is it better to bite the bullet and put new pumps in. Must admit I don't fancy trying to get the tank out as the filler neck mounbolt is bound to come out with part of the mount attached or shear but if so.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'd try fresh Super plus first

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

New fuel and a new fuel filter won’t go astray and are worth a shot first but if there’s no improvement it may go to tank removal and flush out

4. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi thanks for your replies, I will try cleaning the pumps first and see if I can get them running again plus fuel filter and super plus and see what happens