GTI Brake Force Regulator...

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Zender Z20, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

It's possible the brake force regulator may become the first part todate that I've not managed to find a replacement for... well, at a reasonable price anyhow.

I don't think (hope) I need one, the original has come up very well, but I'll not know for certain until it's back on the car and checkable, which may be some time away.

I was only looking as I usually like to get an idea of 'can I get another' before starting to take anything off or worse still, opening it up... just incase.

So broke my own rule this time and if you've ever wondered what was inside one, wonder no more.

Glad to say it all appears to be in like new condition despite it's 39 years and operates fluidly if operated by hand at any rate.

It's officially down as a none servicible part but maybe someone knows otherwise and can point me in the direction of a replacement seal kit, seems daft not to renew them now that it's all apart, even they are in good nick.

bfr.jpg

HPR likes this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Zender Z20 likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Or buy an adjustable aftermarket one for £30 and plumb it in under the bonnet somewhere. That's what I plan to do when we do ours in the new year

Zender Z20 likes this.
  4. Zender Z20

Did read one of your articles on using the MK2 regulator and also looked at the aftermarket adjustable ones.

It's good to know there's at least 2 x alternatives to the original set up if needs be, specially as they seem difficult to track down.

I'm far from being a mechanic and a big part of the appeal of working on the MK1 is the opportunity to get into this side of things and learn... just understanding how things like this work, I find fascinating.

5. Zender Z20

Had already assumed getting a rebuild kit wasn't going to happen, so just put it all back together.

bfr1.jpg

If you're minded to give your own the once over it's relatively easy, I've since found this guide on the inter-web which shows how it's done in pictures and done far better than I could do it in words, despite being in french.

https://www.passiongolfgti.com/spip.php?article512

So you're aware, that little recessed part about 2/3rd's the way between the bolts in the picture... be careful with it, doesn't need to be interfered with and it's made of rubber so easily damaged.

I think it's a relief valve of sorts with a little pin prick of a hole in it's center that corresponds to a similarly small one on the inside of the regulator. It's situated just in the middle of where that Prince Albert looking plunger with a rubber piece at either end goes. I'm guessing it allows for air to enter and exit as it moves to and fro in use.

6. Zender Z20

Just dawned on me... If you were to cut'n'paste what I wrote there, then randomly put it up on the inter-web with no context, you'd probably have the front door put in at 3 in the morning by some agency or other!

PhilRyder likes this.
  7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Past parts Ltd are the brake and clutch components refurbisher

Zender Z20 likes this.
  8. Zender Z20

Cheers... Great that places like this exist.

9. Zender Z20

Revisiting this incase you want to go down the road of having your original refurbished.

Presumably others (as Cressa has shown) are doing this a bit closer to home, but these people may be another option, depending on your circumstances.

It's the Dutch outfit I mentioned in passing on another thread - https://ccparts.nl/

Quick Google seems to show they're good at what they do, but make your own mind up... I've not personally used them.

Their site shows original Ate MK1 regulators as available (how I found them) but that's incorrect, however they've quoted €245.00 (less VAT etc.) to refurbish your old one.

The order code is YF03065-20REP if you want to approach them.

Not even remotely cheap, but beggars can't be choosers and even if you can find a new one judging by prices for recently sold items, it'll likely be quite a bit more.

They and other European sellers I've contacted give the impression not only have Ate stopped making them, but all of the aftermarket manufacturers have too.

One thing I did find was that Ate seem to have started a range of classic products for some of their old lines - https://www.ate-brakes.com/products/ate-classic/

Maybe they'll recommence production if the demand's there?

Even not their e-catalogue's useful for part numbers etc.