Gti Engineering BBR ignition timing 2 degrees TDC??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by AmaZak, Jun 7, 2021.

1. AmaZak Forum Member

Hi folks,

I am in need of some timing advice, I am lucky enough to own a BBR 8v digi tuned Mk2. Recently the cambelt, tensioner and water pump was changed. Before the work was done I did a quick check on the timing marks, pictures attached.

Now that the work is done; my car is extremely down on power. The garage tells me they set the ignition timing to 6 degrees TDC (diamond mark) per flywheel and my camshaft is 3 degrees advance which remains pre/post any work. I read on here that BBR tuned 8v was like 2 degrees TDC? Only looking to restore some power with my timing gun until I can get a dyno session.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

2 degrees would likely reduce power even more tbh. Are you setting the timing with the ECU in set up mode, using the world famous RubJonny digifant guide?

3. AmaZak Forum Member

Hiya Tristan,

Thanks for the reply, I have relied on the garage techs thus far however I do plan on following this infamous guide soon and hoped for some pointers in advanced based on previous pictures.

4. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Are those pictures with the camshaft on time?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the diamond is set to 6 degrees BTDC, the extra tippex will be further advanced, squinting at it something between 8-10 degrees which is a good start with a tuned digi. you cant go too mad as theres only so much the ecu can cope with

as above you should be using diamond/tipex for ignition timing when revs held 2.25k rpm with blue sensor off, when doign the timing belt cam and crank both need to be lined up to the TDC markers. the crank TDC mark is smaller dimple to the left of the diamond in your pics, my guide has nice pics of all your markers anyway

AmaZak and Tristan like this.
  6. AmaZak Forum Member

Yes..

7. AmaZak Forum Member

thanks mate, I genuinely appreciate the advice!