Gti mk2 power steering kit.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mexeco, Jul 8, 2022.

1. mexeco New Member

Thanks for the info i'll take it all into consideration but i think i'm sold on the all in one column solution based on ease of fitting/tidiness and having to only source one part which will be new, and can easily be fitted whilst my cars being fixed up. Will update the thread if i ever get it sorted, thanks for all the input.

dodgy likes this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

mexeco likes this.
  3. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Got Saxo pumps on my MK1 and MK2, both race cars though. Found it very reliable, no issues. The reason for the change is parasitic power sapping from the engine, will run a switchable alternator soon so the extra load on a run comes from the batteries and doesn't create any charging load on the engine.
    The MK1 is still non controllable, so a bit twitchy! The MK2 is fine, added more caster as well to slow the steering down further as well as the electronic box of tricks that controls the motor speed, with a big heat sink. I run it at 100% in the pits etc. as it makes it easy to move about and then between 50% and 25% speed on a run. If it's twisty and with hairpins etc. 25% but more like 50% on fast seeping tracks. Epynt (above) was about 35%.

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

@TonyB , Always wondered (sorry, off topic slightly @mexeco ) as I used to be a refrigeration engineer 30+ years ago, about putting a magnetic clutch off of the compressor onto a supercharger, bit sort of mad max style, so you could shut off the forced induction, sure it could be adapted to an alternator so it just freewheels when not required.

Bit less off topic, when investigating I saw some American site that suggested using a electronic pulse speed pickup to inform the magic box of vehicle speed, and control the rate of pump.