GU / 2E2 issues! - Videos inside

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by James827, Jun 4, 2014.

1. James827 New Member

Back again.. similar sort of issue, it got better but was never perfect..
    on cold start up it cranks over a bit and wont cleanly rev up to 3k and settle to 2k on the wax stat.
    the PDU has been replaced and re-set (that failed and it was much much much worse!)
    it starts great once its been driven.. just seem the first start in the morning after a drive it struggles.

what ive noticed is a kind of petrol smell every so often when its just parked up (no visable leaks, and ive replaced some fuel pipes as a precaution)

I DO NOT HAVE THE TINWEAR ON THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD
    i dont think the Hedgehog is working.. (it doesnt seem to get warm - but does get 12v!)
    i do every so often get a bit of 'carb icing' on a long journey
    i have only just re fitted the electrical sensor for the fan back onto the carb
    i have drilled some holes in a spare airbox (on the bottom so it gets a bit of heat )
    and somtimes it does not shut off 'clean' doesnt really run on but its not a smooth turn off..

i noticed that compared to a 1.3 i had the fuel filter doesnt really fill up with fuel? the 1.3 the filter would be full and have a little bubble of whatever at a high point,
    where as this one only seems to be about half full iff that! - i did blow through fuel lines and check the sender and that was all fine..maybe its the position? as the 1.3 filter sits up a bit higher?

anyway,

it seems to me the heat from the exhaust manifold is evaporting fuel from the carb/fuel lines?
    does this sound viable? how should i go about rectifying this?

one issue i have is how would i get the warm air feed tinwear?

could i use foil tape on the bottom of the inlet manifold? should i insulate the fuel line running over the rocker cover?

also.. the fuel pump is also pretty new (no change when i replaced it)

and other ideas? the car runs great and gets a good 40+ mpg on a run! and apart from long journey to juntion carb icing, and this starting fault its fine!

any input appreciated! (and no, i wont put a weber on it! :thumbup: )

cheers, james

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

probably not heat affecting the fuel lines, the metal shroud you mention isnt there to protect the lines from heat its so the warm air feed can get a properly hot air. without this the system doesnt work so effectively and this will be why you're having carb icing issues. So start with this, then see how you get on ;)

also have you been thru this thread yet? if not, start at the top and work your way right thru :)
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?124945

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Don't worry about the part-filled fuel filter, or as John says, anything to do with heat on fuel pipes.

There is a (rare) fault with the power valve that can cause funny starting symptoms. If the diaphragm ruptures inside it, fuel can leak through it straight from the float bowl down into the inlet manifold. This might account for your smelling petrol more than you expect, and the starting problem. Not sure how to test it without disassembly, but I suppose one thing you can do is - without starting the engine - look down the primary barrel (with choke flap and throttle held open as necessary) after the car's been parked overnight, and see if you can see/smell a puddle of petrol in amongst the hedgehog spines?

4. James827 New Member

I think I got the to bottom of this... (starting issue anyway)

if i said the vacum poppet vavle was the wrong way around would that make sense?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the wee valve inline with one of the vacuum lines?

6. James827 New Member

yep, i had the PDU fail again.
    So i had it all apart and thought it was maybe a vac leak or somthing..(instead of another bad pdu) anyway i thought id try switching it around flopped on my spare carb (with a good pdu - the other was bust again :thumbd:) and ever since then its started as it should.. (no throttle, from cold shoots up to 2000 rpm etc exactly like it should :thumbup:) it did the same with the spare carb as its always done like the op.

my theory is it was leaking the stored vacum that sets the PDU, so when i was cranking it, it was creating the vacum and then setting the PDU to start, but it was not retaining it once the car was shut off.

i hope that makes sense? either way its been great for a few months now - temp gauge still sits too high (even with a febi sender), but that could be the diodes in the Gauges... need to find the thread about that..

cheers for all the help :thumbup:

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

So which way round is the non-return valve now?

8. James827 New Member

the yellow side is pointing to the green sphere of mystical wonder and the black side to the main vac line off the manifold!

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Wrong now then. Did you find some fella on t'internet claiming that VW built them all with this valve the wrong way round? I've seen such a claim, but don't believe a word of it.

I expect the current wrong orientation of that is somehow compensating for a dodgy pulldown unit, or some other fault.

Anyway, if it's now working as you expect/wish, leave it well alone. :)

For ref, here's (scroll almost to the bottom of page) a vac plumbing diagram from the ruddies-berlin site that's just about the most comprehensive online source of info about Pierburg carbs, info direct from Pierburg I suspect.

10. James827 New Member

but ive tried it with two different carbs and one HAD a new PDU, all set up correctly? anyway, i went out and did a double check, and yes, it is the wrong way, but it works and so i cant complain.. the valve is really cracked and in general poor condition, so i suspect that is the issue maybe a small leak when put in the correct position?
    either way i told myself i would replace it, but when it worked? i forgot about it.

and nope, no internet infulence i was just playing around with the PDU vac system after one failed and thought it try it the other way haha