Gwendoline the golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Cressa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Finally got time to get the engine out. That was the easy bit. Splitting the gearbox was A ball ache as I struggled due to not undoing the little bolts on the metal cover.
    So the gearbox and engine journey begins.
    If anyone can recommend a good gearbox person, feel free to shout up. .
    Tomorrow's job to get the engine fitted on my stand so I can off hire this crane (great tool)
    20220507_191500.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    caddyboet and dodgy like this.
  2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Flywheel and clutch off. I cant get the bStard drive plate off to allow me to remove the back tin cover. Any ideas? I'll get a picture up

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

This cow bag 1652008325428898489367187544853.jpg

4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Cancel that..... A cuppa and back to it, she 8s off. As this is all a 1st for me in splitting a gearbox/clutch/engine, I'm guessing this clutch was due anyway. Just skimming the rivets!!

Attached Files:

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Martin Emment aka hotgolf aka gas n gears is your gearbox man

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I did ring him and leave a message but never got a reply unfortunately. He did same the best to go to.
    So it has been left at a local one, fingers crossed.

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Not had as much time just lately, so apart from taking some parts to the powder coater, sourcing some hella headlights progress is slow.
    I did try the bleach trick of cleaning my inner spotlights.... 1st one inside was shiny and fantastic, the 2nd one just stripped off parts of the inner reflectiveness
    Slowly trying to clear the engine bay and the brake master cylinder was a pig to get out against the suspension turret and wiring there.
    After everytime I moved the wiring loom I kept getting filthy, I decided to treat it to a degreasing!! That came up really well. Sad I know but I dont want that muck when I have painted the engine bay

Attached Files:

8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Engine bay question..
    On the bulkhead behind the exhaust downpipe, this area has suffered from heat and gone rusty.
    Would there normally be a heat shield here as well as the knackered thing on my exhaust, or is this how they all are?

9. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

As far as I know there should be, you could also contemplate wrapping the exhaust seeing as how you will have full access to everything and negate the necessity of a heat shield. I wish the moron who put on the stainless steel exhaust and manifold on my GTI thought of that when installing it.

10. rubjonny

there is a lower heat shield but it's only fitted as standard on 16v, turbo diesel and 90spec 8v gti. theres an upper piece to match but thats 16v/TD only

11. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Fair play RJ - there is one on mine but I didn't realise it was limited to the 90 spec. only

12. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

I saw a post on Facebook from gas and gears - sounds like they have some worked backed up due to parts supply problems

Attached Files:

• Gas.PNG
      Gas.PNG
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Had a little time and took the cylinder head off today, after watching a you tube video
    Surprisingly all went well and it looks in very good shape. Not that I know what I am looking for. Scoring etc... Nothing bad on the head gasket either
    So i will get myself a valve spring compressor (anything better than others/to avoid) and really take it apart.
    Do I take it to an engine shop for a deep clean or can It be de-coked at home?
    How do i clean the valves?
    I was just thinking of replacing the valve stem seals and getting it skimmed but is there anything else i should do.
    This is definitely a 1st engine take apart for me so i am not rushing it. The pistons and bores also look great considering its age. The lower half can wait a while though.

Attached Files:

Zender Z20 likes this.
  14. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Fair play to you, getting stuck in like this having never done it before... very impressed!

15. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Winding back to this since I've just installed Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks.
    I bought a 21mm 'spark plug' socket from Machine Mart for about £5. It has a hex head which you can put a spanner on whilst pushing an Allen key through the top to stop the shock tube rotating.

16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Good shout

17. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

As the car is in 1000 pieces and it was a nice day, I thought I would tackle de-rusting the engine bay. Have to start somewhere I suppose. I must say the rust anywhere is only surface and the battery tray is in great condition, thanks VW for waxoyling everywhere. This won't be quick job but it needs doing
    20220702_160456.jpg 20220702_144750.jpg 20220702_144745.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  18. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Getting a little further with thanks to this great weather.
    As the cost of sorting the cylinder head at a proper engine shop wasn't too expensive I decided to send it to them. Then I took the bottom half to them to check over too, so we shall see what happens.

20220710_101910.jpg 5 20220710_121831.jpg 20220710_121831.jpg

Zender Z20, dodgy and PhilRyder like this.
  19. rubjonny

just take the looms out be much less work than wrapping and trying to spray round em

20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Great idea but I dont fancy upsetting the fuse box at this stage. Honestly it wasnt too bad wrapping it and moving them whilst painting.
    All done now. Seam sealer parts re done and final coats done. Not perfectly smooth, but so what. All the rust has been sorted and it looks a lot better. Time to start putting this back together hopefully.
    I even found time to repaint the rear surfaces of the inner spotlights.... sad I know. And if anyone wants this half a Tin of colour matched spray, pay the postage and its yours
    20220711_184029.jpg 20220711_183956.jpg